monster cookie sticks for Halloween

I’ve been very into cookie sticks of late. Which is a terribly odd sentence to type, I realize. I’ve always been into candy eyes for Hallowen. Stick some eyes on just about anything and it becomes an instant monster. And so the merging of cookie sticks and candy eyes was inevitable, at least in my mind if no other.

You don’t need any special cookie cutter to cut these out, and they are so simple to decorate. The beauty of monsters, too, is that you can just squeeze the icing around all over the place and it doesn’t matter. Errors can’t be seen on monsters. They just look purposeful and make your monster more interesting. And that’s what makes these ideal for kids to decorate, too.

And boy are they cute. That’s the other benefit of candy eyes. Eyes are so creepy, but candy eyes make stuff cute. I’m very aware of this eye anomaly, by the way.

how to make monster cookie sticks

you will need:*

cookie dough

royal icing

dough scraper or knife

food coloring

disposable decorating bags

couplers

rubber bands

size 3, 4 and 5 decorating tips

candy eyes

*Find the decorating bags, couplers, tips and candy eyes in the craft store. For food coloring, I suggest Americolor Soft Gel Pastes, available in specialty stores and online (Electric Green, Electric Purple, Bright White and Orange used here).   This is the dough scraper I use, HERE, from Sur la Table. You can also use a knife, but this tool makes cutting sticks super easy and consistent, especially with the handy ruler.

step one: make your cookie sticks

Prepare the cookie dough according to the recipe, chill for a couple hours, roll out 1/4-inch thick and use the dough scraper or knife to cut out sticks. My sticks are about 4 1/2 inches long by 1/2 inch wide. Place the sticks on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake according to the recipe. Let cool completely.

step two: prepare your royal icing

Prepare royal icing according to the recipe. Divide the icing and tint your preferred colors. I made white, purple, slime green and orange. Prepare decorating bags with couplers and tips, fill with icing and close tightly with rubber bands.

step three: decorate your cookies

Decorate your cookies however you like, with either a size 3, 4, or 5 tip, depending on your preference. For the mummies, I just piped back and forth to make stripes. For the green, fuzzy monsters, I piped close zig zags up and down the cookie. For the purple monsters, I just piped dots. And for the orange monsters, I piped curly cues. Press two eyes into the icing. Let the cookies dry well, preferably overnight, before handling and packaging. For basic cookie decorating instructions, click HERE.

1. Posted October 15, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Totally simple. Totally adorable. Totally genius.

2. Posted October 15, 2012 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

that is just too fun, I love how cute they are.

3. Posted October 15, 2012 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

just yet another example of why we totally love you!

4. Posted October 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

These are SO cute!

5. Posted October 15, 2012 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

The most adorable monsters I’ve ever seen!

6. Posted October 15, 2012 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

So cute! Love it! I am pinning your monster cookies.

7. Posted October 15, 2012 at 8:23 pm | Permalink

These are too cute, Meaghan! I think my munchkins would have so much fun decorating and eating these. Cookie sticks are easy to eat:)

8. Posted October 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh, those have to be the cutest cookies I have seen yet. They are definitely going on my list to make! Easy too, no cookie cutter required. My son would love these.

9. Posted October 15, 2012 at 10:08 pm | Permalink

Cute! I’m so glad I ran across your site! I’m pinning these!

10. Posted October 15, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Love these cutey cute cookie sticks! These would be great for Christmas cookie decorating day with my grandbabies. :)

11. Posted October 16, 2012 at 6:39 am | Permalink

My kids would absolutely love these!! Awesome.

12. Kristen
    Posted October 16, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

what size candy eyes do you use?

Posted October 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

Any size, Kristen! I actually used a mix of what I had, some were about 1/4-inch diameter, some 3/8-inch. If you use big ones, just cut the sticks slightly wider. (Or let the eyes hang off the edge… cute)

14. Posted October 17, 2012 at 11:05 am | Permalink

These are so cute! And you reminded me that I need to go make some googly eyes!

15. Ellen Martinez
    Posted October 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

I agree with Bridget!

16. Posted October 18, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

You know me and my love of candy eyeballs :)

17. Posted October 19, 2012 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

Cookie sticks sound so nice and easy – look super cute too. Love all the possibilities. Putting one of those nice scrapers on my to-get list!

18. Posted October 22, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Where have cookie sticks been all my life? I adore these.

Posted October 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

Hee hee, Karly, Thanks!

20. Posted October 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

adorable. Great idea!

21. Angie
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

These are adorable!! Just a tip – you can’t cheat and use slice and bake sugar dough…they spread into kind of blobby rectangles. They’re still cute, and I’m still taking them to my kid’s party today, they’re just fat monsters instead of the clean lines of the home made version. :-) Live and learn!

22. Sylvie Boudreau
    Posted October 26, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

For daycare owner… this is so easy and fun!! :) It takes no time and you have a bunch of tiny monster cookie!!! It’s just so adorable!!
    Thanks for sharing with us!!

23. Posted October 27, 2012 at 10:23 pm | Permalink

These are my new favorites cookies! so brilliant and simple. And I love that you could make a ton in a jiffy. Perfect for classroom treats!

24. Posted October 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

very cute.
    I linked to your recipe on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

25. rachelray
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

love these!

26. Beth
    Posted October 28, 2013 at 8:06 pm | Permalink

Made the monster cookie sticks today. I usually make detailed cookies and am completely stressed the entire time. This was fun. I loved it. They are so cute and taste great. I think I will use the stick idea for all holidays!
    Thank you. It’s a winner for sure!

Posted October 29, 2013 at 7:34 am | Permalink

Woohoo!! Yay, so glad they worked, Beth! I agree about the stick/holiday thing. I do the same :).

28. Jennifer@TheBluebonnetBakeShoppe
    Posted September 15, 2014 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

Those are so stinkin’ cute!!!!!!!