dip-dyed mini marshmallow hearts

wm.dyed.marshmallowheart5

This one goes in the category of quick and easy to make, always appreciated in my house. But I’ll warn you that they do take a while to dry. As in, a few hours. I’m not entirely sure what one would do with tiny bite-size dip dyed marshmallows, but I’ll let you use your imagination for that. Maybe package some in a little cellophane bag tied with ribbon? Add to hot cocoa? Eat? Leave a trail for your husband to the Godiva catalog? Or in my case, maybe to the Anthropologie catalog. Or to my bed. You know, to nap. O’ sleep. How I miss thee (thanks a lot new baby).

wm.dyed.marshmallowheart3

wm.dyed.marshmallowheart2

wm.dyed.marshmallowheart4

how to make dip-dyed mini marshmallow hearts

you will need:*

Jet-Puffed Stackermallows

mini heart cookie cutters

small bowl or cup

fork

food coloring

baking tray

wax paper

cooling rack

*The Stackermallows should be found in the supermarket. These are the flat, rectangle marshmallows. I used a 1-inch and 1 1/2-inch heart cutter. You can likely find heart cutters in the craft store this time of year. For food coloring, I suggest Americolor Soft Gel Pastes (Electric Pink, Electric Green, Orange, Sky Blue and Electric Purple used here), found online or in specialty stores.

wm.dyedmarshmallow1

what to do:

Line a baking tray with wax paper and place the cooling rack on top and set aside. Use the cookie cutters to cut out hearts from the marshmallows. Mix two or three tablespoons of water with a drop or two of food coloring in the small bowl or cup. Place a marshmallow in the mixture and quickly remove by scooping out with a fork. Place on the cooling rack to dry. This will take awhile! When the top is dry, flip over to dry the underside.

wm.dyed.marshmallowheart1

1. Posted January 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

These are so adorable and I never knew about Stackermallows! These would be so cute strung as an edible necklace….you need a little something sweet, it’s right around your neck! :) Thank you for sharing and I always enjoy your blog!

2. Posted January 9, 2013 at 2:34 pm | Permalink

So darling! I’m all about the nap, too…and I have no new baby to blame. ;)

3. Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

So adorable!! How are you doing? well, I guestt I know!! I bet baby V is so big and adorable.

4. Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:06 pm | Permalink

These would be awesome on a plate of s’mores supplies around the fire, or on top of a warm cupcake!

Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

oooh, s’mores! cupcake! edible necklace! Aw, you all are so smart. Kathia… we’re doing A-OK. Somehow Violet isn’t sleeping for 12 hours straight like I hoped, but I’ll give her more than 4 weeks. :)

6. Lisa
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:32 pm | Permalink

The hearts are adorable, but I am more excited about the “stackable” marsh- mallows! I never knew such a thing existed, but it’s such a great idea. The Kraft website indicates they seem to be available mainly at Target, in NJ.

I also know a really cute, quick cupcake idea with marshmallows for anytime flowers are appropriate. It’s from one of the books in the adorable HELLO, CUPCAKE series. You just cut regular marshmallows in half ON THE DIAGONAL, then dip the sticky part in colored sugar. Then arrange in rings from the outside toward the middle on the top of a cupcake, and add a candy or mini-marshmallow for the center. I’ve done it with a Girl Scout troop, and they loved it.

7. Posted January 9, 2013 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

What a great way to create Valentine’s Day marshmallow treats. Love it and am pinning.

8. Posted January 9, 2013 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

What a fantastic idea! I love easy treats and these turned out very cute!

9. Rita
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

you could take these after they dry and use those edibile markers and write cute sayings or names on them.

10. Posted January 9, 2013 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I love these! You’re totally the marshmallow queen!

11. Posted January 9, 2013 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

So simple and cute! Something to add to my list of Things-to-make-in-winter!
    I love it:)

12. suzie Blair
    Posted January 9, 2013 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I am a vegan, do you think I could use vegan marshmallows ? Your dyed hearts look adorable.

13. Posted January 9, 2013 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

Cute cute cutie cute! Hope life as a family of 4 is going well!!

14. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

What a great idea! Love it.

15. Posted January 9, 2013 at 10:55 pm | Permalink

This is a classic Meaghan treat and I love it! So cute and not too difficult! I think a necklace would be fun as the first commenter suggested:)

16. Posted January 9, 2013 at 11:56 pm | Permalink

These are just too cute, Meaghan! Perfect for Valentine’s :)

17. Posted January 10, 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Lovely !!! ♥♥♥

18. Rachel Kaufman
    Posted January 10, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

These marshmallow hearts are perfect to make for Valentine’s Day! I can not wait to try and make them! They look so awesome and like tons of fun to make! I have always bought the Valentine’s Day candy hearts in the store but it would be so cool to say that I made them myself when I give them to people! I love all of the Valentine’s Day candy but the hearts are my favorite!

Posted January 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

I think vegan should work Suzie! HOmemade, though, maybe not. The store-bought ones have that sort of coating that isn’t sticky. That’s all you need.

Posted January 10, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Rita, great minds! I thought about doing exactly the same thing and had that debate right before photographing. They were dry enough to write on, so it would’ve worked, definitely :).

Posted January 10, 2013 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Lisa, thanks for the tip about Target! (Though I live in DC, I’m from NJ, actually, most of my family is there.) I know exaaaactly what marshmallow flowers from that book you’re talking about, too!

22. Posted January 10, 2013 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I love this- they look so cute when they’re done.

23. Posted January 11, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

I love~love~love these! Awesome idea..and Happy New Baby & Year!