bow tie bunny cookies for Haniela’s Easter Extravaganza

I’m back with what’s quickly becoming a seasonal tradition. Last Spring it was all about flowers. This Winter it was all about snowflakes. Now Haniela’s has brought us all together again with Easter treats and crafts. And there are a whole bunch of us this year. Which means a whole bunch of ideas for the holiday. Why, it’s a virtual Easter Extravaganza! Just click on each picture above to visit the bloggers’ posts.

wm.bunnycookiepop4

To see all the bloggers’ creations, click HERE to visit Haniela’s, and be sure to stop by everyone’s site for the full tutorials. For the direct links, scroll to the bottom of this post.

wm.bunnycookiepop2

I kept things simple with some bow tie bunny cookie pops. When given the only parameter of “Easter-inspired,” I was overwhelmed with directions. Eggs, baskets, pastels, chocolate bunnies, gingham, daisies, carrots, cookies, cupcakes, fondant, marshmallows… So I scratched all that and just stuck with a plain white bunny. Two dots for eyes and a sprinkle nose makes these even simpler, and that, my friends, was purposeful. Defiant, almost, against complication. Though I guess the over calculating of simplicity erases said simplicity. And there you have my psyche in a nutshell. Sigh.

wm.bunnycookiepop1

To make these…

First, make the cookies. Prepare cookie dough according to the recipe, chill, roll out 3/8-inch thick (for pops) or 1/4-inch thick (for regular cookies), cut out bunny heads (I cut off the heads of my copper bunny cutter, but you can cut the heads off any you prefer), insert lollipop sticks (found at the craft store), and bake according to the recipe. Let cool completely. For tips on making cookie pops, click HERE.

Second, make the icing. Prepare royal icing according to the recipe. Tint about about two cups of icing (depending on how many cookies you are decorating) white using Americolor Soft Gel Paste Bright White food coloring. Prepare a disposable decorating bag with coupler and size “3″ decorating tip (found in the craft store). Fill with half of the icing and close tightly with a rubber band. Reserve and cover the remaining white icing. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

Third, decorate the cookies. Pipe an outline on the cookies and let set about 15 minutes. Thin the reserved white icing with water, a few drops at a time, until the consistency of thick glue. Fill an empty decorating bag with the thinned icing, snip the tip about 1/4-inch and loosely pipe to fill the cookies, encouraging the icing as needed with a toothpick. Let the cookies dry well, several hours at least, or overnight preferred. For tips on basic cookie decorating, click HERE. When dry, use a dab of light corn syrup to adhere a little heart sprinkle, and draw two dots with an edible writer.

wm.bunnycookies1

Fourth, add the bow tie. To make the bow ties, fold a piece of decorative paper in half and cut out half a bow tie at the fold. Cut a couple slits at the top and bottom of the center of the bow tie to thread the lollipop stick through.

wm.bunnycookies2

Thank you to Haniela’s for including my bunnies in such a great collection! Visit each blogger at the links below:

3D Easter Bunny by Marielle – De Koekenbakkers
Easter Basket Cookies by Amber – Sweet Ambs Cookies
The Carrot Patch Cake by Kim – The Partiologist
Cookie Bunny Pop by Meaghan – The Decorated Cookie
Pretzel Bunnies by Sarah – Miss CandiQuik
I, Robot Egg Cookie by Hani – Haniela’s

1. Posted March 10, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I understand how overwhelmed you felt, but I love your simple bunnies. They are so cute. I really like the cutter you used with the flopping ear. Do you have a link to that actual cutter?

2. Posted March 10, 2013 at 10:10 am | Permalink

Ahhh, so cute! Those bowties are beyond adorable :)

3. Marlyn
    Posted March 10, 2013 at 10:44 am | Permalink

I love your idea of a simple cookie with that colourful paper bow, that little extra touch really elevates the whole thing. Marlyn

4. Posted March 10, 2013 at 10:59 am | Permalink

I love that floppy ear… and the bow tie? That just sends it over the top!!

5. Posted March 10, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

The cuteness!!!!! I love the simplicity of the bunny’s face and using a heart sprinkle upside down. And the bow tie is just genius.

6. Posted March 10, 2013 at 11:11 am | Permalink

Love the bow ties. All dressed up for his special day!

7. Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Oh how super cute this little bunny is…and his added bowtie – adorable!

Posted March 10, 2013 at 12:28 pm | Permalink

Thanks everyone! Ugh, I don’t remember where I got that cutter, Beth. I think my mom got it for me years ago, though we also had the same one at the cookie store. It’s big and copper. I thought coppergifts would have the same one, but they only have one similar. I’m guessing that little guy is no longer made.

9. Posted March 10, 2013 at 7:41 pm | Permalink

I love these little guys…the floppy ear, the heart nose, the cute bow ties! Simple is Awesome! :)

10. Posted March 10, 2013 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

Adorable bunny pop! Love his floppy ear and the bow tie!

11. Posted March 10, 2013 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

It makes me smile everytime Floppy ear rocks!
    I adore the little bow. Thanks for taking time to be a part of this project. I’m glad you could make it.

12. Posted March 11, 2013 at 8:35 am | Permalink

Love them! The bow tie is super cute!

13. Posted March 11, 2013 at 9:53 am | Permalink

The little heart sprinkle nose is adorable! And I love those bow ties!

14. Posted March 11, 2013 at 9:57 am | Permalink

Aww, a sucker for a floppy ear! Love these – great work as usual!

15. Posted March 11, 2013 at 11:43 am | Permalink

I loved these little guys!!

16. Posted March 11, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

These cookie pops are so cute Meaghan…love them!:)

17. Posted March 11, 2013 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

White bunnies at Easter are a classic … I love yours! He reminds me a pet bunny that we had … one ear up, one down.

18. Posted March 11, 2013 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

You are always so crafty! and these white bunny is totally adorable.

19. Posted March 13, 2013 at 5:15 pm | Permalink

O.K. These are just sweet! Love that bunny cookie cutter with the one floppy ear. Also love that you just gave the bunnies eyes and noses :)

20. Posted March 21, 2013 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

So cute! I love the bow tie added touch! I’d love to have you link up to my Easter edition of Family Fun Friday! http://www.momsandmunchkins.ca/2013/03/21/family-fun-easter/

3 Trackbacks