A roundup of 30 awesome rock painting ideas.
Rock painting ideas
Why paint on rocks? Rock painting is cheap. It’s easy. It’s fun. You can leave them around town for a fun surprise, or make them to decorate flower pots or your garden and yard. It’s kid-friendly, adult-friendly, everyone-friendly. And… it forces you to go outside and get some exercise hunting for the perfect rocks for your project. (Or you can just order some nice, clean rocks from amazon.) And there are so many rock painting ideas out there.
How do you paint on rocks?
All you need to do is find some rocks. Clean them up. You can wipe them with rubbing alcohol to make the paint stick even better. Paint with regular acrylic craft paint, found at the craft store. And that’s it! You can seal the rocks with a spray sealant, but that feels too chemical-ly for my taste, so I skip that part.
Now that you have the how-tos, what will you paint? Here are 30 awesome ideas for painted rocks.
- Make a melting snowman rock here!
- Find more how-tos for rock painting at Color Made Happy.
- This rock village can be found on Instagram, by n’bi tasarim.
- Or this incredible rock village (source unknown).
- I love this daisy rock art at Typically Simple.
- Make a rock rainbow at Non Toy Gifts.
- Spread some feel-good rocks, from Plaid.
- Find painted ladybug rocks at Crafts by Amanda.
- Make a rock cactus at Craftberry Bush.
- Make a flamingo rock puzzle at Hello, Wonderful.
- Paint a Darth Vader rock at I Love Painted Rocks.
- Paint these gorgeous, colorful flower rocks at Make Your Mark.
- Make some moon rocks at The Crafting Chicks.
- Turn painted rocks into magnets at Alisa Burke.
- Make these hilarious beach rocks at Handmade Charlotte.
- Make traffic signal rocks at Hello, Wonderful.
- Make a mix and match rock family at You Clever Monkey.
- Make rock garden markers at West Valley Moms Blog.
- Or these garden markers at Adventure in a Box.
- These rock emojis are from Instagram user Cara Dura.
- Make vintage camper rocks at Atta Girl Says.
- Make painted rock photo holders at One Little Project.
- Make rock monsters at Makoodle.
- Make “happy rocks” at Taylormade Creates.
- Make “flip” rocks at Plaid.
- Make painted rock necklaces at Red Ted Art.
- Try a rock fish pond at Make It Your Own.
- Make some marbled rocks at Creative Green Living.
- Paint some woodland animals at DecoArt.
- Paint a cute coffee mug rock at I Love Painted Rocks.