These tattoo cookies appear in the June 2011 issue of BRIDES magazine, the “Take It To Go” spread featuring ideas for edible favors. Here you’ll find how-tos to make the tattoo cookies. For the almond tube packaging and the fabric sack packaging how-tos, CLICK HERE.
how to decorate tattoo cookies
- cut-out cookie dough AND royal icing
- double heart cookie cutter (find one HERE)
- food coloring (black, red, turquoise, yellow)
- white fondant
- sharp knife
- black edible marker
- 4 disposable decorating bags
- 4 couplers
- 3 decorating tips (size “3”)
- 4 rubber bands
- pizza cutter
light corn syrup
step one: bake your cookies
Briefly knead the fondant until it is easily pliable. If the fondant is at all sticky, let it sit uncovered at room temperature for 15 minutes or until easily pliable. Using confectioner’s sugar on your rolling pin and surface as needed to prevent sticking, roll the fondant about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out a double heart using the cookie cutter, then, use the knife to separate the hearts.
Use the pizza cutter to cut out the banner as shown, then use the knife to make a wedge at one end. Let the fondant stiffen, uncovered at room temperature, for several hours. When stiffened, write your names, date or message on the banner with the black edible marker.
- Create a document and play around with different fonts. Write your message in your preferred font in the document, then use that as a guide to write on your banner. The font shown is “Old English Text.”
- It takes some practice writing with precision, especially if your edible marker doesn’t have a very fine tip. You may also want to write only one name on each banner, just the date, or a shorter message.
Congrats on the magazine spread. All the ideas came out great- and as previously discussed tattoo cookies definitely a new trend! : )
Congratulations on the opportunity to have worked with Bride's Magazine. All your creative work for them is just wonderful!
Wow these are ridiculously cute! Great idea I love seeing different stuff! =)
WOW, Meaghan! CONGRATS on the major feature in a major magazine! I think I may buy that issue today:)
Christine of Better Bit of Butter Cookies says
These are great cookies. What a good idea!
My SIL to be saw these in Brides Magazine and has enlisted me to make them (150 of them!) for their wedding next June. I hope I can do them as well as you do!