Weeknight dinner idea! Try one-pot lemon rosemary chicken with rice and asparagus for a delicious, quick and easy meal.
Last week I got The Simple Kitchen: Quick and Easy Recipes Bursting with Flavor, by Chad and Donna Elick of The Slow-Roasted Italian, in the mail. And you know what?
It seriously is filled with quick and easy recipes bursting with flavor.
And that is why I love this cookbook and will be using it all the time to pretty much make every recipe in it. The recipes are super user-friendly, easy to make, a little bit different than the usual, and don’t use tons of ingredients. Think weeknight dinners that aren’t boring.
But what is best about the book are the tips along the way and in the recipes themselves that teach you how to cook like they do.
They teach you how to combine these ingredients and flavors so you aren’t limited by just the recipes here.
For example, in the Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice, you are instructed to warm the olive oil until “you can feel the heat when you hold your hand 6 inches above the skillet.” Those little details will make you a better cook.
The book is divided into:
Slow-cooker meals (such as Three-Cheese Meat Lasagna, Fiesta Chicken Street Tacos, Italian Basil-Pesto Chicken, and Triple Cheesy Mac and Cheese)
one-pot meals (such as Farmers’ Market Pasta with Sausage and Home-Style Chicken and Biscuits)
20-minute meals (such as Chili Lime Steak Bites, Tuscan Garlic Chicken and Linguine, and Crisp Apple Spinach Salad with Chicken)
appetizers (Jalapeno Cheddar Pretzel Twists, Stacked Cantina Nachos)
soups (such as Tuscan Sausage Potato Soup and Broccoli Cheese Soup)
simple sides and veggies (like 10-minute Garlic-Parmesan-Broccoli and Honey-Ginger Glazed Carrots)
kitchen essentials (including rolls and sauces)
and of course desserts (such as Key Lime No-Bake Ice Box Cake and Overnight Cinnamon Rolls).
Moving on to what I made… my one-pot wonder that was delicious and crazy easy to make: Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Rice.
It had all the flavors I love, so I decided to start with this particular recipe. So good! And the leftovers were even better. Next up, I’m trying the Tuscan Garlic Chicken and Linguine…
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 cups chicken stock
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- This recipe abridged. FOR MORE RECIPE DETAILS, check out The Simple Kitchen by Chad and Donna Elick
- In a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken, stirring occasionally, 7 to 10 minutes. (The chicken will continue to cook.)
- Add the rice, rosemary, garlic and onion powders, stock and lemon juice. Stir to combine, cover, and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer. Cook for 8 minutes, stir, and add the asparagus.
- Cook until asparagus crisp-tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 296Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 99mgSodium: 410mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 2gProtein: 38g