Crazy delicious twist on traditional pot pie: Try smoky chipotle chicken and kale pot pie.
SPICY and smoky chipotle-chicken and kale pot pie that is. And it’s insanely delicious. Like, sneaking into the fridge and chowing down on cold leftovers because I can’t help it delicious. Pot pie is in the top of the tops of my favorite foods. It’s the perfect meal: Protein and veggies but with the awesomeness of freaking PIE crust. I’m tearing up a little at the thought of pot pie now.
Oh, and this pie is pretty easy to make, too, because instead of a white sauce I use condensed soup and instead of homemade pie crust I use store-bought. I started from my go-to recipe for basic chicken pot pie is from Real Simple, only when I make the traditional version, I use fresh broccoli and carrots and adjust the seasonings a bit, but I keep the condensed soup and store-bought pie crust. If you’re a purist about these things, you can fiddle with the recipe. Make your own crust, and use a white sauce instead of the soup and milk combination.
If you’re a pot pie fan, try this shortcut, easy chicken pot pie recipe.
This recipe was inspired by this Chipotle Smoked Red Jalapenos powder my husband bought that I found in the spice cabinet. It has such a unique flavor, a bit spicy, a bit smoky. If you do not want the spicy/smoky flavor, simply omit this ingredient. If you can’t find it, substitute any comparable chipotle powder.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus additional
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus additional
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle smoked red jalapenos powder (optional)
- 1 can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup whole or 2-percent milk
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 2 large handfuls of kale, coarsely chopped
- 1 refrigerated pie crust
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon each olive oil and butter over medium heat. Cut the chicken into large, bite-size pieces. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and the chili powder, paprika and chipotle powder. Cook in the prepared saute pan until no longer pink inside, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the soup, milk, garlic salt and black pepper. When the chicken is cooked, transfer with a slotted spoon to the bowl with the soup mixture.
- Add the carrots to the saute pan with additional olive oil and/or butter, if needed. Cook just until the carrots start to soften, 3 minutes. Add the kale and stir until just wilted, an additional 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the vegetables to the bowl with the chicken and soup mixture and stir to coat.
- Lightly spray a pie plate. Transfer the chicken, vegetable and soup mixture to the pie plate. Top with the pie crust, pinching the sides. Cut three small slits in the center of the crust with a knife to vent.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the top is golden and the crust is cooked through. If the edges start to brown too quickly, arrange tinfoil around the edges.
- Let sit five minutes before serving.