make a wish…fairy wand cookies

These would make a great gift for a little princess or as favors at a kid’s birthday party. Put a cellophane favor bag over the top of the star and tie with shiny ribbon at the base of the star. Arrange a styrofoam block in a coordinating container and insert cookies into the styrofoam block. Let guests pull their fairy wands from the arrangement to bring home.

how to make a fairy wand cookie

you will need:

dough
icing
lollipop sticks
star cookie cutter (not too big, about 2 or 2 1/2 inches)

pink frosting color (Electric Pink
Americolor soft gel paste used here)
1 disposable frosting bag
1 coupler

1 rubber band

1 size “4” deco
rating tip
pink edible glitter, sprinkles of sanding sugar

step one: bake your cookies
Roll your dough thick, about 1/4 inch, and cut out shapes. Insert lollipop stick into bottom of cookie about 1/2 way into cookie. Pat dough back into shape if needed. Make sure to use chilled dough. Bake on a parchment paper-lined baking tray according to the recipe and let cool completely.

step two: frost your background
Assemble a frosting bag with size “4” decorating tip and fill with pink frosting. Tie closed tightly with a rubber band. Outline star and let set about 15 minutes. Starting at the top of the cookie, pipe frosting back and forth in a zig zag motion to completely fill the cookie. You should have no gaps or holes at all. Immediately move on to step three.

step three: add your sparkle
As soon as you pipe the background, immediately and generously sprinkle pink edible glitter, sanding sugar or sprinkles to coat the entire star. Invert quickly to rid of excess and let dry over night before wrapping.

1. Jenny
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

They are so cute!

2. Ginger
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 12:54 am | Permalink

The cookies look great! Thanks for the pictures because it almost makes me feel like I could do this. I did say “almost!”

3. Nishta
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 1:30 am | Permalink

my niece would love this! I’ll have to file away the idea for her birthday.

4. jacqui
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 5:09 am | Permalink

Love your creation!
    Thanks for sharing

5. apparentlyjessy
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

They are lovely, perfect for a little girls fairy party!

6. oneordinaryday
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

I love cookies on sticks. How could you not??
    Wouldn’t it be fun to use wooden skewers or something that length for magic wand cookies? I never even thought of that until I saw your pics. You’ve always got such great ideas.

7. Mary
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

how cute , i’m sure the little girls will love them!

8. Estee
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I have a really dumb question, is that allowed? :)

Where do you find lollipop sticks that can be baked? All that I have been able to find are the Wilton brand ones and the packaging states that they are not oven safe. Help!!??

I have bookmarked this page for my daughter’s birthday. Beautiful cookies, as always!

Posted May 20, 2009 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Thanks all for your kind words!

And your question is so not dumb! No such thing with tricky cookies. I use the Wilton ones that aren’t for oven use. I’ve never had an issue. But you raise a good point! Best to be safe and stay close to the oven while baking. The craft store SHOULD also carry oven safe wooden dowels for the purpose, too. I just hopped on the wilton.com site, and they also have “cookie treat sticks” which look exactly like the lollipop sticks. Might not be as widely available, but they also sell them online at wilton.com, under “shop.” (search for “8inch cookie treat sticks.”)

10. Estee
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 8:08 am | Permalink

Thank you so much for the answer!! I really appreciate it!

I just made “flower pot” cupcakes for my daughter and broke at least 10 flower cookies while trying to get them on the sticks, so I am desperate for an easier solution! :)

I am going to try out your fairy wand cookies as soon as I can get some sticks. Thanks so much! :)

11. cookies and cups
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

These look great! Love cookies on sticks and so do most kids I know! I have baked the cookies before and FORGOT to put the sticks in, so when I got them out I VERY CAREFULLY inserted the sticks in and they cooled and the stick stayed in perfectly, so there’s another option!

12. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted May 20, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Wow, these are beautiful! Totally makes me want to have a princess party! =) I’ll be linking.

Posted May 21, 2009 at 1:58 am | Permalink

Love how ideas come from “mistakes,” cookies and cups. Thanks for the link, Rachel!! Love your roundups. Good luck Estee!

14. Cakebrain
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

My little girls would be all over this cookie! great idea!

15. Café Chick
    Posted May 24, 2009 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the tip re Wilton lollipop sticks. I have shied away from using accessories like these as I’m scared of a fire in my oven! However, with your step-by-step instructions, I’m now keen to give it a go.

16. Tammy
    Posted May 27, 2009 at 4:57 am | Permalink

I have just come across your site – it is fantastic! thanks for all the wonderful tips!!

Posted May 27, 2009 at 3:35 pm | Permalink