heart day sparkly marshmallows

Here’s a super quick and easy idea (or rather, reminder, as I posted on these glitter marshmallows just last month) for Valentine’s Day: red and pink sparkly marshmallows.

how to make Valentine’s Day sparkly marshmallows

you will need:*

skewers and/or lollipop sticks
marshmallows

red and pink sprinkles
bowl of water

*Find lollipop sticks and sprinkles in the craft store (especially this time of year). A finer, sanding sugar works best, but any will do.what to do:
Skewer marshmallows. Pour sprinkles in two bowls, one for red, one for pink (I prefer using only one color of sprinkles per marshmallow, but you can also mix the red and the pink). Quickly dip marshmallow in water and remove immediately, shake off excess drops of water, hold over the sprinkles bowl, spoon sprinkles generously over marshmallow to coat. Stand marshmallows up in a jar or in a block of styrofoam until dry.

1. Jeanette
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 2:16 am | Permalink

Now I can do this one also. I love all your ideas!

2. Sue Sparks
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 2:54 am | Permalink

Who knew you could do SO MUCH with a marshmallow? You could write a cookbook devoted to them! I love the sparkle! You're so creative!

3. An Almost Unschooling Mom
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 3:23 am | Permalink

I agree with Sue, a marshmallow themed cookbook would be fun.

4. Mrs. Bogarde
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 3:30 am | Permalink

Soooo cute!

5. PaisleyJade
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 4:18 am | Permalink

How cute are they? Thanks for the fab idea!!!

6. Anonymous
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 8:02 am | Permalink

another marshmallow???

Unsubscribing :-/

Posted January 25, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Thanks all! (Sue, can you tell my agent that?)

I will also post more cookies soon, anonymous, so sorry to pound you with marshmallows! (when the demands of life–full time with a two year old,our fixer upper,my column, my biz, a hubby in the reserves, etc—mean I can't get in the kitchen so much, marshmallows are an easy go-to. But I definitely understand it's not what's advertised, so I'll leave your comment untouched in case others feel the same…

8. Catherine
    Posted January 25, 2010 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE all of the ideas! Keep the marshmallow treats coming!
    (By the way, for the anonymous commenter that doesn't like them, maybe you should keep your negative thoughts to yourself and realize what great ideas these are, your negativity comes across as bitter and jealous)

Posted January 25, 2010 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the kudos, Catherine! (No sweat, though, I can take the critique! Always useful to get both good and not so good feedback…Makes us better, right?)

10. Jennifer
    Posted January 27, 2010 at 2:45 am | Permalink

Oh man-perfect for me…fast & effective. All done 'Anthroing' the house? I know, it is never done

Posted January 27, 2010 at 3:58 am | Permalink

oh, so not even close to done. We did so much reno so fast I've been horribly lazy the last couple months. But I have ideas, does that count?

12. Rachel@oneprettything.com
    Posted January 28, 2010 at 12:14 am | Permalink

Aww, these are so cute! Thanks so much, I'll be linking.

13. Elyse
    Posted January 30, 2010 at 12:56 am | Permalink

Beautiful and so easy! Can't wait to try these.

14. Dee Light
    Posted February 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

I am in Love! Too, too, cute.

15. charlene/crazedparent
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Adrorable! We made homemade marshmallows this year, my son wanted them to be red and pink but I avoided it completely thinking meh, food coloring will ruin 'em.

But this idea? Takes it to awesome!

16. 3XMom
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

we did these during the crazy blizzard we are having in the mid-atlantic – killed probably 1/2 hour -and so cute! Thanks!

Posted February 11, 2010 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Thanks! yep, charlene, WAY better alternative! (and adds a bit of crunch, too). Thanks, 3Xmom! I'm in DC staring at many feet of snow, so I was glad to give my 2 year old some marshmallows, too!

18. Dusty
    Posted February 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

These are so adorable! We made some today for my girls Sunday School class tomorrow and they and I had so much fun! So easy and simply even for my 4 & 6 year old. & yet, they look like we purchased them!! Love it and so thankful to you for sharing!!

19. Jessica's Love Story
    Posted March 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

these are super cute. I am going to do them for my sisters baby shower!

20. Courtenay
    Posted July 12, 2011 at 2:12 am | Permalink

Hi, how long before the birthday can i do this? how long will they last? and how should i store them?

Thanks :)

Posted July 12, 2011 at 11:33 am | Permalink

Marshmallows dry out fast, but the coat of sprinkles helps them stay softer in the middle for longer. You can probably do these the day before and keep them in tupperware containers. Just don't pile or smush them all in. I'd pack similar colors together, too.