warm and fuzzy heart cookie pops

I’m not sure if these are warm and fuzzy, as I promised in the title, or sort of strange and gross. At any rate, they are easy to make. This idea was born in the long long oh my goodness long line at Michaels craft store. The line was so very very long. And this tub of cotton candy was sitting there staring at me for such a very very long long time. And everything comes back to cookie pops.

These should be made the same day they are served. The icing can interfere with the cotton candy over time and dissolve it, so overnight they won’t maintain that fluffiness.

you will need*
dough
frosting

heart cookie cutter (1 1/2 inch or any size)
pink food coloring
lollipop or cookie sticks
disposable frosting bag
coupler
size “5″ decorating tip
rubber band
tub of pink cotton candy

*Find the cutter, lollipop sticks, frosting bag, coupler, tip and hopefully the cotton candy at the craft store. For food coloring, I used Americolor soft gel pastes, Electric Pink. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out chilled cookie dough according to the recipe, about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out hearts, place on parchment paper lined baking tray and insert sticks securely into cookie. Bake according to recipe and let cool.

step two: prepare your frosting
Prepare frosting and tint pink. Prepare frosting bag with coupler and tip, fill with frosting and tie closed tightly with a rubber band.

step three: decorate your cookies
Working with one cookie at a time, pipe an outline of the heart and then pipe back and forth to completely fill the cookie with icing. Immediately top with pieces of the cotton candy.

1. SweetSugarBelle
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

CUTE!!!

2. Manni
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 7:34 pm | Permalink

I love the idea. You have the best of both, a cookie with cotton candy!!! Sweet : D

3. Vibeke
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Ha ha ha … Love it :-)

4. mr. pineapple man
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 8:00 pm | Permalink

this looks so delicious!!!

5. dadá
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

Fantastic idea!, delicious.

6. Rosy
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm | Permalink

What an amazing and creative idea! Love it.

7. COLARGOL
    Posted January 30, 2011 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

it's funny, i love it, bravo

8. lilaloa
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 1:08 am | Permalink

"warm and fuzzy" Oh man, that's awesome. Such a fun, clever idea. I love it!

9. naomi
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 1:22 am | Permalink

O.M.G!!! Cutest Valentine's cookie-E-V-E-R!!!

10. nyanyels
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Lovely! I like all your recipes. They're amezing. I learn a lot with you. Thank you!
    ;)

Posted January 31, 2011 at 4:59 am | Permalink

Ha Ha, I bought the same plastic tub of cotton candy at Michael's and I haven't done a thing with it yet:) Your fuzzy cookie pops look adorable!

12. Tiffany @ Conor and Bella
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

So cute! I love cotton candy.

13. DnaBoo
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 1:09 pm | Permalink

Yum!!

14. Butter Hearts Sugar
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

They are so cute, a very clever idea!

15. Whatever Dee-Dee wants
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

These are calling my name. Yum!

16. Lacey @ dishfolio.com
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

This looks delicious! Great job! We'd love for you to share your recipes and photos with us at dishfolio.com!

17. Amy
    Posted January 31, 2011 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Fuzzy & Cute!

18. Bakergirl
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 6:12 am | Permalink

Cutest Valentines cookie ever. I love them!

19. Damaris @Kitchen Corners
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 7:06 am | Permalink

no, this is not gross in any way shape or form this is pure genius!

20. meltingbutter.com
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 7:41 am | Permalink

how adorable!!! what a fantastic idea! they would sell like hot cakes :)

21. Gali
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 8:17 am | Permalink

The fuzz is so cute!

22. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

I LOVE it. My husband loves cotton candy, so he would adore these.

I've been trying to figure out what I was going to give him for Valentine's Day, but now I think I know!

Posted February 1, 2011 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

Given my angst over the gross factor of the above, you all have been wonderfully kind! And a big reminder for anyone who makes these: Make and serve the same day!!! The cotton candy dissolves a little if left overnight.

24. Stephanie
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

Ingenious! So cute and unique! :-p I love the color and different textures on it. And c'mon, who doesn't love cotton candy?!

Gratz on Top 9!!

25. Junia
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

congrats on top 9 with me! :) i love making food look pretty!!! this is a perfect vday idea!

26. Cheryl
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

OMG. YUM. Just when I thought treats couldn't get any tastier!!!

27. Paige
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 6:06 pm | Permalink

I think these are simply adorable! I love your illustrations as well. Cute blog :)

28. Adelina
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

wow! I think you should sell these cooking in Disneyland. It would be a great hit!

29. mom78968400
    Posted February 1, 2011 at 10:50 pm | Permalink

quick ?- how do you get the dough to be the same thickness when you roll out the dough. Is there some magic to it, because, I just can't pull it off evry time-thank you

30. Cakespy
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Um. I love this.

31. Kudos Kitchen
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 1:01 am | Permalink

Woo Hoo Meaghan! These are just too stinkin' cute!!! Congrats for making food buzz! You rocked it girly!

32. briarrose
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Love these! Cotton candy is a wonderful, creative touch.

33. Lisa @ Tarte du Jour
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Holy cow….my kids would love these! Very clever of you!

34. Marion Ashley
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 1:54 am | Permalink

I am a HUGE fan of food on a stick. And the whole tie in with cotton candy which is such a fond childhood memory of an archetypal stick food is perfect. These are gorgeous and so perfect for Valentine's Day, thanks for sharing!

Posted February 2, 2011 at 2:27 am | Permalink

You all sure know how to make a gal's head swell!!
    mom78968400… Good question! Someone else just asked me the same one. I couldn't find contact info for you, so hope you check back. Personally, b/c I've done this for so many years, I've gotten a pretty good feel for the dough and rolling pin pressure, but you can also buy bands in the craft store to put on the rolling pin ends (in 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 inch thickness), or, as suggested in the book, Cookie Craft, you can use slats. I also have a special rolling pin that has sort of dumbbell-like ring things you screw on each end in varying thickness. Search amazon for Joseph Joseph rolling pin and you'll find it.

36. Kristan
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 2:30 am | Permalink

Oh Meagan…you hold they keys to my heart.

Or should I say, the cookie to my heart.

But you knew that, didn't you?

LOVE these. LOVE.

37. konstantkraver
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 3:01 am | Permalink

So so SOooo fantastic!

38. Lisa
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 3:15 am | Permalink

Meaghan, I love 'me' some cotton candy, and this was simply a brilliant idea!! You are SO creative and such a gifted artist. If I had seen the tub of cotton candy, I would have bought it to eat, not thought up something amazing to do with it..lol

39. greydawn
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

I imagine a group of kindergardeners thinking they are in heaven if you show up with these!!

40. Beth
    Posted February 2, 2011 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

Oh My Gosh, what a cute idea!

41. cookies and cups
    Posted February 6, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

very cute! I made some cupcakes with cotton candy and the moisture in the frosting and air too dissolved it within an hour :( I had sad shriveled cotton candy cupcakes left over, but it you eat them right away they are adorable and delicious :))

Posted February 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

Oh, how sad! I was afraid of exactly that! But my brand must've been toxic. Lasted all day. But the remaining ones were not so pretty in the morning. My 3 year old ate one anyway. I didn't.

43. Winelady Cooks
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Oh my gosh, these are the best. I'm going to surprise my daughter (really my grandsons will love it). How easy are these.

Thanks for sharing
    Joanne

44. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted February 9, 2011 at 11:16 pm | Permalink

Aww…..warm and fuzzy! Those are so clever!!!

45. Dagmarette @ The Finishing School
    Posted February 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

Love the warm and fuzzies! What a cute and creative idea for Valentines Day coming up! I would love to link them to The Finishing School if thats ok?

46. Anonymous
    Posted February 14, 2011 at 3:20 am | Permalink

This is adorable. Adorable. Also, adorable.

Posted February 14, 2011 at 3:59 am | Permalink

OK, the third adorable made me laugh out loud.

48. Paula
    Posted June 1, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

wow, these cookies looks fantastic!