warm and fuzzy heart cookie pops

I’m not sure if these are warm and fuzzy, as I promised in the title, or sort of strange and gross. At any rate, they are easy to make. This idea was born in the long long oh my goodness long line at Michaels craft store. The line was so very very long. And this tub of cotton candy was sitting there staring at me for such a very very long long time. And everything comes back to cookie pops.

These should be made the same day they are served. The icing can interfere with the cotton candy over time and dissolve it, so overnight they won’t maintain that fluffiness.

you will need*
dough
frosting

heart cookie cutter (1 1/2 inch or any size)
pink food coloring
lollipop or cookie sticks
disposable frosting bag
coupler
size “5” decorating tip
rubber band
tub of pink cotton candy

*Find the cutter, lollipop sticks, frosting bag, coupler, tip and hopefully the cotton candy at the craft store. For food coloring, I used Americolor soft gel pastes, Electric Pink. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out chilled cookie dough according to the recipe, about 3/8 inch thick. Cut out hearts, place on parchment paper lined baking tray and insert sticks securely into cookie. Bake according to recipe and let cool.

step two: prepare your frosting
Prepare frosting and tint pink. Prepare frosting bag with coupler and tip, fill with frosting and tie closed tightly with a rubber band.

step three: decorate your cookies
Working with one cookie at a time, pipe an outline of the heart and then pipe back and forth to completely fill the cookie with icing. Immediately top with pieces of the cotton candy.

Comments

1. Sue says

Ha Ha, I bought the same plastic tub of cotton candy at Michael's and I haven't done a thing with it yet:) Your fuzzy cookie pops look adorable!

2. Lacey @ dishfolio.com says

This looks delicious! Great job! We'd love for you to share your recipes and photos with us at dishfolio.com!

3. Stephanie @ The Brunette Foodie says

I LOVE it. My husband loves cotton candy, so he would adore these.

I've been trying to figure out what I was going to give him for Valentine's Day, but now I think I know!

4. Chic Cookies says

Given my angst over the gross factor of the above, you all have been wonderfully kind! And a big reminder for anyone who makes these: Make and serve the same day!!! The cotton candy dissolves a little if left overnight.

5. Stephanie says

Ingenious! So cute and unique! :-p I love the color and different textures on it. And c'mon, who doesn't love cotton candy?!

Gratz on Top 9!!

6. mom78968400 says

quick ?- how do you get the dough to be the same thickness when you roll out the dough. Is there some magic to it, because, I just can't pull it off evry time-thank you

7. Marion Ashley says

I am a HUGE fan of food on a stick. And the whole tie in with cotton candy which is such a fond childhood memory of an archetypal stick food is perfect. These are gorgeous and so perfect for Valentine's Day, thanks for sharing!

8. Chic Cookies says

You all sure know how to make a gal's head swell!!
    mom78968400… Good question! Someone else just asked me the same one. I couldn't find contact info for you, so hope you check back. Personally, b/c I've done this for so many years, I've gotten a pretty good feel for the dough and rolling pin pressure, but you can also buy bands in the craft store to put on the rolling pin ends (in 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8 inch thickness), or, as suggested in the book, Cookie Craft, you can use slats. I also have a special rolling pin that has sort of dumbbell-like ring things you screw on each end in varying thickness. Search amazon for Joseph Joseph rolling pin and you'll find it.

9. Kristan says

Oh Meagan…you hold they keys to my heart.

Or should I say, the cookie to my heart.

But you knew that, didn't you?

LOVE these. LOVE.

10. Lisa says

Meaghan, I love 'me' some cotton candy, and this was simply a brilliant idea!! You are SO creative and such a gifted artist. If I had seen the tub of cotton candy, I would have bought it to eat, not thought up something amazing to do with it..lol

11. cookies and cups says

very cute! I made some cupcakes with cotton candy and the moisture in the frosting and air too dissolved it within an hour :( I had sad shriveled cotton candy cupcakes left over, but it you eat them right away they are adorable and delicious :))

12. Chic Cookies says

Oh, how sad! I was afraid of exactly that! But my brand must've been toxic. Lasted all day. But the remaining ones were not so pretty in the morning. My 3 year old ate one anyway. I didn't.

13. Winelady Cooks says

Oh my gosh, these are the best. I'm going to surprise my daughter (really my grandsons will love it). How easy are these.

Thanks for sharing