sparkly rainbow marshmallow kabobs

These came about mostly my accident. I was trying something else that didn’t work and ended up with these rays of sunshine. My daughter is into unicorns and rainbows now (ah, does a ’80s kid like me proud) so I’m hoping she still is at her next birthday.

how to make sparkly rainbow
marshmallow kabobs

you will need:*

marshmallows
toothpicks
bowl of water
sprinkles or sanding sugar, variety of colors
wax paper
lollipop sticks, 12-inch
paper towels
crisco

*I used red, yellow, green, blue and purple sprinkles. I found five marshmallows worked best per stick, so poor orange and indigo got the shaft. Find lollipop sticks in the craft store.

step one: glitter up your marshmallows
Have ready a bowl of water, a paper towel, an empty bowl or plate, an open container of any color sprinkles and a piece of wax paper. Skewer a marshmallow at one of the flat ends with a toothpick. Use the toothpick to hold the marshmallow, submerge the marshmallow fully in the water quickly, and remove. Dab the excess water on the paper towel, hold the marshmallow over the empty bowl and sprinkle generously with sprinkles to entirely coat the marshmallow. Carefully remove the marshmallow from the toothpick and set on a piece of wax paper to dry. Let dry several hours. Repeat with more marshmallows in the different colors.

step two: add the stick

Dab a paper towel in Crisco and grease the top half of a lollipop stick. Slide the rainbow of marshmallows on the stick. Tips: Don’t skip the Crisco, it makes this step much easier. And, insert the lollipop stick into the hole left by the toothpick.

1. Kami
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

gonna have to try these out! my daughter loves marshmallows, and what is better than an bright one?

I hope my daughter loves the 80's as much as I do too!

Posted April 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm | Permalink

I love rainbows in any form, especially the sweet, cute edible form! :)

3. heidi
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

These are so pretty. I love rainbows and easy crafts.

-heidi
    a week from thursday

4. Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 5:57 pm | Permalink

thats' really cool – I like those. What's more, it's something that can easily be done by kids.

I need to buy sanding sugar !

siliconemoulds.blogspot.com

5. Hayley
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 6:41 pm | Permalink

These are awesome! I'm so excited to make these for the pride parade!

6. unikornz
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

this is awesome.

i am especially curious to know what you were trying to make originally, before accidentally making these!

Posted April 15, 2011 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

Thanks all! Go '80s! And rainbows. Agree, Hayley, easy to tote around, too! Unikornz… you'll see in a few weeks.

8. malia
    Posted April 15, 2011 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

first of all… what a lovely blog!
    second… thanks so much for linking my itsy bitsy carrot patch project up– so sweet of you!
    xo malia

9. Erin
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 12:54 am | Permalink

These have Punky Brewster written all over them! :) Love that!

10. Kristan
    Posted April 16, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

You had me at "Glitter up your marshmallows"

xoxo

Kristan
    Cookbook Queen

11. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous!! These would look amazing at party – good thing my birthday is coming up – now I have an excuse;)

12. Penny
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I love this, thanks so much for sharing. :)

13. Anonymous
    Posted April 17, 2011 at 10:34 pm | Permalink

Love these they are adorable, think I will make them in pastel colors for Easter next weekend!

Posted April 17, 2011 at 11:10 pm | Permalink

Sheesh, I didn't even think of that! Pastels for Easter. Great idea.m

15. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

I think I need to have a stash of marshmallows at all times now! How fun!

16. SweetSugarBelle
    Posted April 18, 2011 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

These are GREAT! My kiddos LOVE anything on a stick. The other night Caleb woke up EARLY and had marshmallows for breakfast, LOL, you'd be his kind of gal!

17. lisa
    Posted April 19, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

My daughter thinks that marshmallows are in the food pyramid – she would flip over these! Can you imagine one or two of them floating on white hot chocolate? theenchantedoven.blogspot.com

Posted April 19, 2011 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Wait, they aren't part of the food pyramid?

19. Jenn Erickson
    Posted April 26, 2011 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Brilliant! I love it!

Stumbling and pinning this post for sure!!

Jenn/Rook No. 17

20. nicole
    Posted April 28, 2011 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

question on the fantastic sparkly kabobs: how far in advance do you think i could make them?
    i was worried about the sanding sugar running if i stored air tight. but dont want the marshmellows to get stale if i leave them out.
    thanks. thanks!

Posted April 28, 2011 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Nicole, I'd say up to 2 days uncovered. I think rather risk staler marshmallows than the effect of moisture on the sprinkles in an air-tight container. The sprinkles (well coated) create a sort of shell that helps preserve the marshmallows soft center. You can also wrap the marshmallows with cellophane favor bags, tie with ribbon at the base of the marshmallows (so the stick sticks out). Not air tight, so maybe even up to 3 days that way. Bonus, cute favor.

22. nicole
    Posted May 1, 2011 at 3:19 am | Permalink

Ohhh. Great idea for favor and longevity. N

23. brett
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Too fun! Love the rainbow – totally looks like Rainbow Brite from the 80s, too cute! I'm sure you could dust them with sprinkles in other color themes too.

~Brett
    charmedlifediva.blogspot.com

24. Dawn Wilson
    Posted May 3, 2011 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

These are awesome!

25. Victoria @ One Crafty Momma
    Posted June 28, 2011 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Made them!!!

26. Stacey
    Posted July 9, 2011 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

These are so fun and colorful! love it!

27. Sara
    Posted July 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Love it! Going to have to try my own version soon. Will link to you when I do.

28. Theresa
    Posted August 1, 2011 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Made these tonight for a bbq. Next thing I know my sisters-in-law are holding them over the hot coals. Roasted glittered marshmallows! The inside got melty while the outside stayed crunchy. Amazing!

Posted August 2, 2011 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Ha, brilliance! So going to try if I find myself near an open flame with one of these. So cool!

30. Colortude
    Posted September 5, 2011 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

awesome idea. they look so fun.

31. art on canvas
    Posted November 11, 2011 at 2:52 pm | Permalink

"poor orange and indigo got the shaft."

LOL

32. Pamela
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 8:46 am | Permalink

Wonderful idea, My son wants a candy party for his 6th birthday well at least a table set up with loads of special treats. Being a DIY person i love this idea the most kids will love the funky colors. I made one just befor using blue, green, purple and pink as thats all the sugar sand i have and it looks wonderful and a cheep idea as well

33. Kari
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

This looks like a lot of fun. We just found out that my son is allergic to wheat. I have been looking for some fun food crafts that are wheat free. Thanks so much!

34. Becca
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

These are so cute!!!!

Do you have to make these right before serving them? Don’t the marshmallows get hard otherwise?

35. Becca
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm | Permalink

oops I read from the bottom up and saw you answered my question!!! Can’t wait to try them!

Posted March 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

Way ahead of me Becca! But I’ve rethought the tupperware idea since then. I’ve put them overnight in tupperware and they were totally fine the next day!

37. Becca
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:01 am | Permalink

Going to try them the tupperware way! Thanks for answering!!

38. Julie
    Posted May 25, 2012 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

My daughter is having a rainbow birthday party tomorrow. I just finished step one, and they’re going to be great. Have to share, though–after following the directions exactly for the first color, I went the “shake-n-bake” route to get the sprinkles on the marshmallows for the rest. After dunking in water and dabbing dry, I dropped them into a baggie with the color sugar and shook it. It was awesome. Far less tedious and more even sugaring!

Posted May 25, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

Love it… GREAT idea!!! Thanks for the tip :).

40. traci
    Posted June 12, 2012 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

i’m having a rainbow treasure hunt party for my six year old’s bday party tomorrow — made these with her (so much fun!) and we’re going to make a “fluffy bunny” game out of them! it did take a little while to make 23 skewers. tip: if you buy sprinkles, make sure the opening is wide, it took awhile to get the sprinkles out of the jars. :) and it takes A LOT of sprinkles. they’re awesome though!

Posted June 13, 2012 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Have a great party, Traci!! Yep, 23 times 5 marshmallows per kabob… go you for the patience! And yes, good tip. I’m VERY generous with my sprinkle coating! I usually just take off that plastic part and pour the sprinkle on right from the jar (though frugal me then uses a funnel to dump the leftover sprinkles back in the jar).

42. Jessica
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

This are so cute… already trying to figure out how to use them for my daughter’s birthday next February. In the meantime, a friend recently asked me to do lego pops for he son’s birthday this weekend. I’m thinking just one yellow sugared marshmallow on each stick with eyes and such drawn on might just do the trick.

43. Melissa
    Posted July 17, 2012 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

These are gorgeous! I’m wondering if it would work with miniature marshmallows and then put them in a clear bag as a take home party favor.

Posted July 18, 2012 at 6:16 am | Permalink

Love that idea, Melissa! I bet you could use a spray bottle to spritz all the marshmallows with water then shake them with sprinkles in a bag! Adorable…

45. Melinda
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

How did you get the sugar to be colored?!

Posted January 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Melinda, I just used store-bought sanding sugar. It comes in every color of the rainbow! :)

47. Keri
    Posted March 13, 2013 at 2:22 am | Permalink

When I do crafts, I do them for A LOT of kiddos with my clinic (like 100-200). We like to do them for holidays. I loved this craft! I used kabob skewers (much cheaper and longer, too!) instead of lolipop sticks, was able to put 6 or more marshmallows on them and didn’t really need the crisco. Also made my own sprinkles with some food coloring and everyday sugar (and some muscle)in all the colors I wanted. Put the colored sugar in ziploc and shook each marshmallow after it was wet. Worked fairly well, especially for a bunch of kids. And the kids really love how bright and tasty the craft was. Definately recommend!

48. Gaby
    Posted April 12, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Love them! Super cute and colorful! :) Where can you get sanding sugar?

Posted April 15, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Hi Gaby, You can use any sprinkles! I get mine at the craft store.

50. Christy
    Posted August 17, 2013 at 8:01 am | Permalink

My son is 13 and his favorite sweet thing is marshmallows. We ALWAYS have them in the house. This will be a MUST DO once I get some Crisco at the store!!! He’ll have a fabulous time doing this. Thank you for posting.

51. Yanilka
    Posted October 15, 2013 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Hi Keri,
    I want to know how did you make the sugar coloring using food coloring? I also have to make more than 40 pieces…

Posted October 17, 2013 at 11:05 am | Permalink

Hi Yanilka! Nope. I just purchased different colors of sprinkles at the craft store. The finer the sprinkle the better. It may also be called “sanding sugar,” but any will work!

53. sophie
    Posted October 28, 2013 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Hello, what kind of crushed candies are you using ? skittles ? thanks

Posted October 28, 2013 at 1:00 pm | Permalink

these are just different colors of sprinkles, found in the craft store. I have done this with ground skittles, too, though!

2 Trackbacks

1. [...] My boys LOVED making these kabobs, from Meaghan, at The Decorated Cookie. [...]

2. By Sugared Marshmallow Bunnies « Sweet Simple Stuff on March 30, 2012 at 10:37 am

[...] we start, let me give credit to Meaghan at The Decorated Cookie.  When I first saw her do sugared marshmallows, I thought “will that really work?”  [...]