sparkly rainbow marshmallow kabobs

These came about mostly my accident. I was trying something else that didn’t work and ended up with these rays of sunshine. My daughter is into unicorns and rainbows now (ah, does a ’80s kid like me proud) so I’m hoping she still is at her next birthday.

how to make sparkly rainbow
marshmallow kabobs

you will need:*

marshmallows
toothpicks
bowl of water
sprinkles or sanding sugar, variety of colors
wax paper
lollipop sticks, 12-inch
paper towels
crisco

*I used red, yellow, green, blue and purple sprinkles. I found five marshmallows worked best per stick, so poor orange and indigo got the shaft. Find lollipop sticks in the craft store.

step one: glitter up your marshmallows
Have ready a bowl of water, a paper towel, an empty bowl or plate, an open container of any color sprinkles and a piece of wax paper. Skewer a marshmallow at one of the flat ends with a toothpick. Use the toothpick to hold the marshmallow, submerge the marshmallow fully in the water quickly, and remove. Dab the excess water on the paper towel, hold the marshmallow over the empty bowl and sprinkle generously with sprinkles to entirely coat the marshmallow. Carefully remove the marshmallow from the toothpick and set on a piece of wax paper to dry. Let dry several hours. Repeat with more marshmallows in the different colors.

step two: add the stick

Dab a paper towel in Crisco and grease the top half of a lollipop stick. Slide the rainbow of marshmallows on the stick. Tips: Don’t skip the Crisco, it makes this step much easier. And, insert the lollipop stick into the hole left by the toothpick.

Comments

1. Kami says

gonna have to try these out! my daughter loves marshmallows, and what is better than an bright one?

I hope my daughter loves the 80's as much as I do too!

2. Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com says

thats' really cool – I like those. What's more, it's something that can easily be done by kids.

I need to buy sanding sugar !

siliconemoulds.blogspot.com

3. unikornz says

this is awesome.

i am especially curious to know what you were trying to make originally, before accidentally making these!

4. Chic Cookies says

Thanks all! Go '80s! And rainbows. Agree, Hayley, easy to tote around, too! Unikornz… you'll see in a few weeks.

5. malia says

first of all… what a lovely blog!
    second… thanks so much for linking my itsy bitsy carrot patch project up– so sweet of you!
    xo malia

6. Cheryl @ Sew Can Do says

Gorgeous!! These would look amazing at party – good thing my birthday is coming up – now I have an excuse;)

7. SweetSugarBelle says

These are GREAT! My kiddos LOVE anything on a stick. The other night Caleb woke up EARLY and had marshmallows for breakfast, LOL, you'd be his kind of gal!

8. lisa says

My daughter thinks that marshmallows are in the food pyramid – she would flip over these! Can you imagine one or two of them floating on white hot chocolate? theenchantedoven.blogspot.com

9. nicole says

question on the fantastic sparkly kabobs: how far in advance do you think i could make them?
    i was worried about the sanding sugar running if i stored air tight. but dont want the marshmellows to get stale if i leave them out.
    thanks. thanks!

10. Chic Cookies says

Nicole, I'd say up to 2 days uncovered. I think rather risk staler marshmallows than the effect of moisture on the sprinkles in an air-tight container. The sprinkles (well coated) create a sort of shell that helps preserve the marshmallows soft center. You can also wrap the marshmallows with cellophane favor bags, tie with ribbon at the base of the marshmallows (so the stick sticks out). Not air tight, so maybe even up to 3 days that way. Bonus, cute favor.

11. brett says

Too fun! Love the rainbow – totally looks like Rainbow Brite from the 80s, too cute! I'm sure you could dust them with sprinkles in other color themes too.

~Brett
    charmedlifediva.blogspot.com

12. Theresa says

Made these tonight for a bbq. Next thing I know my sisters-in-law are holding them over the hot coals. Roasted glittered marshmallows! The inside got melty while the outside stayed crunchy. Amazing!

13. Pamela says

Wonderful idea, My son wants a candy party for his 6th birthday well at least a table set up with loads of special treats. Being a DIY person i love this idea the most kids will love the funky colors. I made one just befor using blue, green, purple and pink as thats all the sugar sand i have and it looks wonderful and a cheep idea as well

14. Kari says

This looks like a lot of fun. We just found out that my son is allergic to wheat. I have been looking for some fun food crafts that are wheat free. Thanks so much!

15. Becca says

These are so cute!!!!

Do you have to make these right before serving them? Don’t the marshmallows get hard otherwise?

16. meaghanmountford says

Way ahead of me Becca! But I’ve rethought the tupperware idea since then. I’ve put them overnight in tupperware and they were totally fine the next day!

17. Julie says

My daughter is having a rainbow birthday party tomorrow. I just finished step one, and they’re going to be great. Have to share, though–after following the directions exactly for the first color, I went the “shake-n-bake” route to get the sprinkles on the marshmallows for the rest. After dunking in water and dabbing dry, I dropped them into a baggie with the color sugar and shook it. It was awesome. Far less tedious and more even sugaring!

18. traci says

i’m having a rainbow treasure hunt party for my six year old’s bday party tomorrow — made these with her (so much fun!) and we’re going to make a “fluffy bunny” game out of them! it did take a little while to make 23 skewers. tip: if you buy sprinkles, make sure the opening is wide, it took awhile to get the sprinkles out of the jars. :) and it takes A LOT of sprinkles. they’re awesome though!

• meaghanmountford says

Have a great party, Traci!! Yep, 23 times 5 marshmallows per kabob… go you for the patience! And yes, good tip. I’m VERY generous with my sprinkle coating! I usually just take off that plastic part and pour the sprinkle on right from the jar (though frugal me then uses a funnel to dump the leftover sprinkles back in the jar).

19. Jessica says

This are so cute… already trying to figure out how to use them for my daughter’s birthday next February. In the meantime, a friend recently asked me to do lego pops for he son’s birthday this weekend. I’m thinking just one yellow sugared marshmallow on each stick with eyes and such drawn on might just do the trick.

20. Melissa says

These are gorgeous! I’m wondering if it would work with miniature marshmallows and then put them in a clear bag as a take home party favor.

• meaghanmountford says

Love that idea, Melissa! I bet you could use a spray bottle to spritz all the marshmallows with water then shake them with sprinkles in a bag! Adorable…

21. Keri says

When I do crafts, I do them for A LOT of kiddos with my clinic (like 100-200). We like to do them for holidays. I loved this craft! I used kabob skewers (much cheaper and longer, too!) instead of lolipop sticks, was able to put 6 or more marshmallows on them and didn’t really need the crisco. Also made my own sprinkles with some food coloring and everyday sugar (and some muscle)in all the colors I wanted. Put the colored sugar in ziploc and shook each marshmallow after it was wet. Worked fairly well, especially for a bunch of kids. And the kids really love how bright and tasty the craft was. Definately recommend!

22. Christy says

My son is 13 and his favorite sweet thing is marshmallows. We ALWAYS have them in the house. This will be a MUST DO once I get some Crisco at the store!!! He’ll have a fabulous time doing this. Thank you for posting.

23. Yanilka says

Hi Keri,
    I want to know how did you make the sugar coloring using food coloring? I also have to make more than 40 pieces…

• meaghanmountford says

Hi Yanilka! Nope. I just purchased different colors of sprinkles at the craft store. The finer the sprinkle the better. It may also be called “sanding sugar,” but any will work!

• meaghanmountford says

these are just different colors of sprinkles, found in the craft store. I have done this with ground skittles, too, though!

24. Audra says

My daughter and I made red, white and blue crackers for July 4th. She had a blast! Although we rolled the marshmallows instead.

25. Tahra says

I love these! I plan to make them for my daughter’s rainbow Hello Kitty party this weekend. I have question though… can I make these a few days in advance? I’m afraid of the marshmallows getting hard.

Thanks!

• meaghanmountford says

Hi Tahra, You CAN make them ahead of time, but I would say only 1 to 2 days. The water/sprinkle combo creates a sort of barrier around the marshmallow which keeps it soft inside, however, after they dry (an hour or so), line a large, flat tupperware container with a paper towel and place them in there, and seal. I’ve also just stuck them in gallon ziplocs and they last a couple days.

• meaghanmountford says

Hi Shaunda, You can dye marshmallows with KoolAid, but these are made by dipping in water, then in sprinkles, so the koolaid would dissolve. You can try brushing the marshmallows with light corn syrup and then adding Koolaid, but it may dissolve. However, I still think it would look cool dissolved!

Trackbacks