how to draw on food: I love the ’80s cookies

I know, I’m a broken record about being a kid of the ’80s.
We get it, Meaghan, you’re a kid of the ’80s.
You wore leg warmers and wigwam socks and jelly bracelets and Forenza sweaters.
You listened to Men at Work and REM and the Smiths and Duran Duran and Tears for Fears and (I have to stop this sentence, or it will go on forever).
You broke apart your Rubik’s Cube in frustration.
You got a Cabbage Patch Kid (‘Cassandra,’ brought back from my Dad’s trip to Spain) and
played Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker with your brother in the yard.
You ate Nerds and Pop Rocks and JellO Pudding Pops.
You kicked butt at Pac Man and Breakout.
You loved Knight Rider, The Dukes of Hazard, Falcon Crest, Golden Girls, Family Ties, Growing Pains, The Facts of Life (another sentence that will go on forever if I don’t stop).
You memorized every line of The Breakfast Club.
You had feathered hair (not successfully).
You wore a strapless, taffeta, bubble skirt prom dress.
We get it. You were cool. Or totally uncool. Whatever.

Did I mention I’m a kid of the ’80s? Born in ’72, graduated high school in ’90. Prime years, my friend. Why am I proud of this? Why do I shake my head at kids who don’t know what life was like before the internet, cell phones, even pagers? To hang out with friends we just called their house and hoped not to get a busy signal . What is it about the decade of our childhood that evokes such fond nostalgia? When really, the ages of 8 to 18 are the most depressed, self-conscious, clueless and awkward we likely will ever face? These could not have been good times, yet I sigh with glee whenever I see anything that reminds me of that iconic era. It’s probably just the memory of youth when so much possibility lay ahead.

Been thinking too much lately. Must be my age. Or the kid starting school and about to face her own decade of memories. Anyhoo, here are some ’80s tribute cookies.

A key for those not kids of the ’80s:
see if you can find:
the MTV logo
rainbows and unicorns
the Atari logo
awesome sneaker roller skates
jelly bracelets
friendship pins
TAB logo
cassette tape (don’t ask me what this is if you’ve never seen one)
Rubik’s Cube
Pac Man
how I made these:

I used my sugar cookie dough to cut out square and rectangle cookies. Then I flooded the background with my royal icing, tinted white with Americolor Soft Gel Paste. Let the flooded background dry overnight. Then click HERE for tips on drawing with edible pens.

I want my…

1. Jenny
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Born in '73, graduated in '90, and you are killing me with those friendship pins. I completely forgot those existed.

2. the decorated cookie
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 6:31 pm | Permalink

Band class. 6th grade. Huge. Wore 'em on the shoelaces for my Tretorns.

3. the decorated cookie
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 6:32 pm | Permalink

I mean "of" my Tretorns.

4. adrianne millinder
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

Born in 70, graduated in 87 and loved every minute of living in the 80's! I loved making those friendship pins. And my sister and I roller skated every weekend. My kids still laugh about that! Thanks for the blast from my past.

5. Kristen P - "Praz"
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

I was born in 84 but I still think I get to claim the 80s since all of my early memories revolve around 80s culture. Plus with 3 older brothers I think I was a little ahead of my time. Other people I know that are my age but are the oldest don't remember all the same 80s things I do. Love the cookies – if I could draw as good as you I'd be making Jem cookies tonight!

6. SprinkleBakes
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

I love this entire post will all of my heart.

xo

7. Susan Crabtree
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

loved the 80's, my acid washed guess jeans, & my big hair!

8. The Vanilla Bean Baker
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 7:47 pm | Permalink

Love the cookies, love the post but man oh man, did it ever make me feel old! You were born just three years before my son was!!!

9. Pink Little Cake
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 8:02 pm | Permalink

Born in 74' and graduated in 81! I loved the 80's, I have 80's music in my Ipod, my husband ( of course way younger than me!) sometimes makes fun of me for my music choices and he called them wayyyyy too old.

10. S'A
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

Graduated in '82, (ushered in MTV!) so my "running around" years were the '80s. Love the cookies–love the memories!!

11. the decorated cookie
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

Jem! Stonewash! So many more memories. I forgot to mention that Aquanet was my best friend. (I was also in NJ.)

12. Beth
    Posted August 31, 2011 at 11:45 pm | Permalink

Friendship pins! I'll have to get Julia to bring that fad back to kindergarten this year!

13. Jenn @ BentoForKidlet
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 12:25 am | Permalink

Even though I would probably be considered a child of the 90's I had an older brother so knew a lot of cool 80's stuff :P I told my son about the Atari and cassette tapes and he looked at me like I had sprouted another head :P Love these cookies!!

14. Meg@MegaCrafty
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 1:44 am | Permalink

Ahh those cookies take me back. The classic MTV logo, Atari, Cassette Tapes! Why did I ever get rid of my roller skates? Don't let my husband read this comment- he's more of an 80's child than I was so I love to tease him about how the 80's should stay buried but seriously… I have great memories of the 80's and love these cookies. I can still feel the corded phone in my hands and hear my mother yelling to me that I am stretching the cord waaaay too far.

Ps. sorry for the deleted comment from me above… had a typo.

: )

15. CraftCrave
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [01 Sep 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

16. the decorated cookie
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 2:08 am | Permalink

Phone cords. Sigh. I also remember the first "remote" we had. It was connected to the TV by a long cord.

17. Sarah
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Oh, Meaghan…you are far too clever. LOVE this post. Forenza sweaters in EVERY color. One piece jumpers with the halter top below. Over the top makeup – bright red "rouge" paste on the cheeks, light blue eyeshadow. Don't forget the ribbon clips we all used to make at home with the long streamers hanging. I would spend hours weaving ribbon through clips. Brilliant and fun read my friend.

18. Carrie @ One Pink Duck
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Love your post today!!!!!!!

19. the decorated cookie
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Blue eyeshadow. RIBBON barrettes! My sister had a green/yellow combo one and I was so jealous.

20. Mandy Crandell
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

How awesome are these?!

21. Lissa (Bellenza)
    Posted September 2, 2011 at 12:32 am | Permalink

Wow, amazing how cookies can bring back so many memories! Fabulous job (and i love your super-witty writeup, too)!

22. AudreyO
    Posted September 2, 2011 at 2:13 am | Permalink

How fun. I'm mom to two girls and over the years, we've had cookie decorating parties that the kids always loved. It's so fun to make and then eat our personal creations.

Posted September 4, 2011 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Oh, what fun! My three kids were all born in the 80's…the days of side ponytails, slouch socks, and Reeboks, to name a few:) I can't remember my son's stuff though.

24. Pop.O.Licious Cake Pops
    Posted September 5, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

Wow! I absolutely LOVE these cookies. And the '80s. Good work!! :)

25. SweetSugarBelle
    Posted September 7, 2011 at 1:54 pm | Permalink

I loved the eighties. I could have stayed there forever….you made me smile. And miss the eighties…and I'll have money for nothing in my head ALL DAY!