making doughnuts with the Babycakes Donut Maker

(Note I’m still on vacation in Florida, but I wrote this whole post before I left. Isn’t that prepared of me?)

My mother-in-law got my daughter–well, me–the Babycakes donut maker for Christmas, which may or may not have been my suggestion. And I should note, that Babycakes has never heard of me and has no idea I’m writing this post, so all the opinions below truly are my own.

It did occur to me, “Hmmm, another piece of kitchenware I’ll have to find a place for to gather dust,” but I’ve a feeling this one might will spared the dust part. It really is super easy to use and a jillion times quicker than making traditional doughnuts. Plus, I’m a total doughnut purist. None of this “baked” stuff, I like them deep-fried and unhealthy. But wouldn’t ya’ know it? These were really good and really doughnutty. So all in all, Go Babycakes. You make a good doughnut in three to five minutes.

Given my and my daughter’s last minute decision to make doughnuts having not been to the supermarket in way too long, and given my daughter’s indescribable picky-ness when it comes to food, I kept things simple and used only ingredients I had on hand. She wouldn’t even put sugar or glaze on hers. And she loved them. I added a dusting of powdered sugar to one, thanks to the handy dandy shaker that comes with the Babycakes. (It also comes with a handy dandy prong tool thing and a handy dandy wire rack). And I mixed up some confectioner’s sugar and milk to make a glaze for a couple of the other ones.

These were delicious on Day 1, less delicious on Day 2. But I can forgive the doughnut for not aging well. Next time I’m going to shake on some cinnamon sugar, maybe some sprinkles, and spice up the recipe.

doughnut recipe for Babycakes Donut Maker

(adapted from THIS RECIPE)

Prepare the Donut Maker with non-stick spray, and heat the Donut Maker according to the instructions.

Put in mixing bowl and combine:

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Add and blend just until the ingredients are mixed well and dough is creamy:

1/4 cup half and half
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Immediately scoop the batter into a disposable decorating bag and close with a rubber band. Snip the tip and pipe a ring of dough into each of the molds. Close the lid and bake for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the Donut Maker and rest on a wire rack. Top with icing, confectioner’s sugar or cinnamon sugar.

Yield: 9 doughnuts (which means one batch plus three since the Donut Maker holds six. I think. I think mine are slightly too big since they have those ridges around the middle, so maybe you can get 10.)

1. Karen @ Sugartown Sweets
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 2:20 am | Permalink

I almost bought this @ Kohl's "Day after Christmas Sale"..but had second thoughts! I may have to re-think that! I love cake doughnuts and these DO look tasty :)

2. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 2:21 am | Permalink

About 10 years ago when I was home in Nebraska for Christmas, I was at the Goodwill and found a donut maker still in the box! I bought it and was SOO excited to make those precious gems when I got home…..well while I was "making the donuts" it started smoking like crazy – my mom freaked out and called 911. I was mortified when they came only to find little me, my donut maker and a bunch of black donuts. I do have the babycakes one, it rocks – these things have come a LONG way!

3. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 2:32 am | Permalink

I so want this doughnut maker, I don't need it, but I want it.

4. Tiffany@Fizzy Party!
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 3:50 am | Permalink

Very smart of you to post ahead and hope you're enjoying your vacation :) My friend has a Babycakes too and LOVES it. Her and her kids can't stop making doughnuts hee hee. Thanks for letting us know how fabulous the Babycakes is.

5. the decorated cookie
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Definitely a gadget that was good to get for Christmas, since it feels like a luxury to just buy one! Trish, when I first turned it on it started smelling like it would catch on fire (it didn't) and I envisioned exactly your scenario!

6. Gina
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

Did anyone ever try the cake pop maker. Think its by the same company. Had a donut maker years ago when the girls were little. Might have to get another one with my grandson around. lol.

7. Page Song
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

cute!!! wish I had one
    page

8. the decorated cookie
    Posted January 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

I haven't tried the cake pop maker, but was wondering the same thing… I'm guessing it tastes exactly the same, just a different shape, but I was wondering how sturdy they were for dipping into melts.

9. JLL24
    Posted January 16, 2012 at 3:21 am | Permalink

Funny how the mini verision they make for kids really work well. Sounds like this is a great gadget to have, with or without kids. Whip up a quick batch of donuts for guests or yourself. Or at least a great rainy/snow day buster. Thanks for sharing with us. Now, if they only made a mini waffle maker?

10. Michele
    Posted January 18, 2012 at 10:20 am | Permalink

They look yummy! I wondered how this little contraption worked. Glad to see it worked well.

11. the cheese thief
    Posted January 23, 2012 at 5:47 am | Permalink

Too funny that we had the same experience. I actually didn't realize you had a blog! I'm completely hooked! Gonna run out and get your book too. I love your pictures, ideas and writing style.

12. Marissa Miller
    Posted May 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I just got a BabyCakes doughnut maker for my birthday. I’m so excited to try it out! The mixes were very expensive though, so thank you for posting this recipe. Now I can make the mixes from scratch and I won’t spend so much money for pre-made mixes. I’ll try it as soon as I can! Thanks again :)

13. Arleen Edwards
    Posted August 29, 2012 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Bought the BabyCakes doughnut maker in July. Had not used it yet, but I am thankful for the recipe. Will try it, and will let you know.

14. Lesley Adams
    Posted December 30, 2012 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

Hi, thanks for the recipe but what is 1/2 and 1/2?
    I want to try it out with a 12 cup donut cake pan that I just got for Christmas.

Posted January 1, 2013 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Hi Lesley, I just used half and half, or here in the US, it’s cream for coffee, half heavy cream/half milk, but you could use milk or heavy cream, too.

16. debra carlson
    Posted January 11, 2013 at 5:30 am | Permalink

I have the cake pop maker and the pie maker. Both are great! My girls and I made all kinds of cake pop “bouquets” for Christmas presents and they were so cute and ohhhh sooo yummy. No problem with dipping them on the stick as I dipped the stick in chocolate first and let harden. I am buying my sister the cake pop one for her birthday. I soooo want to score the donut maker!!!!

17. christina
    Posted January 12, 2013 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the recipe. My daughter is having a blast making these donuts, we actually adapted the recipe, we added 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder to make chocolate donuts and we substituted lemon extract for the vanilla extract. Another little tidbit if you use a pancake pen which you could find on amazon, you could get at least 18 donuts out of this recipe, because there is very little waste when using the pen. :-)

18. Samantha
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 9:43 am | Permalink

I use a pastry bag to fill my doughnut maker. It’s quick, no mess and very little waste as you are able to squeeze out all the batter!

19. Julie
    Posted April 24, 2013 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

My 18 yr old son gave the Babycakes Donut Maker to his sister on her 10th birthday and she LOVES it. We just didn’t really care for the recipes it came with. Thank you for posting an easy and delicous recipe!!!

20. Maham
    Posted August 21, 2013 at 8:22 am | Permalink

What can I use as a substitite of half and half? I dont live in the US so I dont know. What if I don’t use anything at all instead of it?

Posted August 21, 2013 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

Heavy cream or milk would be totally fine! (The former being more decadent of course!)

22. Posted October 8, 2013 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I bought this babycakes donut maker at a Goodwill for $3.99. It was very clean and I was wondering what was wrong with it that someone gave it away. Probably too many appliances in the kitchen ;)

Since it came by itself I had no instructions or recipes to use with it. :(

My husband found your post and I was so happy try making them with a recommended recipe!

I didn’t have half and half – but using the other recipe you linked to as a reference I made mine part “milk” part “heavy whipping cream” instead of half and half. Still worked. :)

They were delicious! I have been experimenting with different syrup/flavorings and powders (like Dutch cocoa + powdered sugar dusted on top). It’s probably the most fun I’ve had all summer!

I can’t wait to surprise my husband when he gets home from work today. :D

Thank you, thank you!

Posted October 9, 2013 at 7:11 am | Permalink

That’s fantastic!! Thanks so much! Glad the milk and whipping cream worked, too.

24. Liberty Smith
    Posted January 8, 2014 at 1:47 am | Permalink

Thank you so much! I was looking for a recipe! :D

25. Carolyn
    Posted February 9, 2014 at 12:00 am | Permalink

I bought the tiny version of the Babycakes donut maker. It makes 4 mini donuts but only cost ten bucks. The donuts turned out so cute but the taste was only okay. The second time I made them was tonight with a Duncan Hines cake mix and they turned out perfect. I left them in exactly 4 minutes and they even browned pretty good on the top side. The problem was that they tasted exactly like a cake mix. I want a good donut flavor and texture. I will try your recipe as soon as I buy some half and half. I will let you know how they turn out.

26. Posted February 9, 2014 at 10:18 am | Permalink

After Christmas – $5.00 at Bed, Bath & Beyond. This recipe is great! Any chance you have a chocolate version??? Thanks so much!

27. Landry
    Posted July 3, 2014 at 1:19 am | Permalink

I don’t have the instructions I lost them I just need them to prepare the maker can anyone tell me how to prepare please???!!!

Posted July 7, 2014 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

Hi Landry, Just seeing this, so hope it’s not too late! My instructions say to periodically coat the surface with spray. Then, plug in and keep closed to preheat for 3 minutes. When the green ready light comes on, fill each with 2 tablespoons batter. Lower lid and secure latch. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Then release the lid using potholder and open, remove with the fork tool.