a peek at us and an homage to Service men and women

Good morning everybody! I’m taking a break from sweet things and shifting focus for just a bit. Today I’m donating to the Wounded Warrior Project, and I urge all of you to visit this site as well. I’ve put in a request for a fundraising page with a link from my blog to continue this effort, and you’ll be the first to know if it’s approved and when that is in place!!

I tend to keep my blogging world and my home life so separate–except when I’m checking email with my four-year old pulling on my arm–that it seems contrary to this community we share, you and me.  Cuz you and me, we’re here together.

I’m pretty sure the reason for this divide between my bloglife and real life me is because my largest story is undoubtedly my twenty-year battle with severe illness. It feels so off-putting to share talk of disease with talk of cookies and marshmallows. Surely, you don’t want to hear about intestines and morphine when you visit me for icing. I spoke a little bit about my struggles with IVF HERE, and in that post I refer to THIS article in the Journal of General Internal Medicine that I wrote several years ago that gives a snapshot of my experience with illness, hospital stays, surgeries, death scares and ICU.  But through all of these health struggles, I’ve squeezed a life in there, too.  Grad school, cookie decorating, shooting pool.  I met and married my husband, Greg, and I even had our beautiful miracle, Maeve. But it’s this history in part that gave me a specific sensitivity to others that endure life altering attacks on their bodies.

While I’m proud of my husband for many things–his support while I wrote my book,  his patience as I stay up late working and get manic and stressed and snappy, and his guidance and comfort in dealing with my struggles generally–it’s my little secret that I love telling people “He’s in the army.” (That’s Greg below, in Iraq.)

It awes and humbles me to consider what character it takes to join the military. My husband, many of his and our dear friends, and so many in our family, his aunts and his cousins who have stories that bring a lump to my throat but are theirs to share, have that stunning character that compels them to risk sacrificing so much: Their comfort, their own choices, their families, even potentially their lives. In our household, we’ve been extraordinarily fortunate. My husband was deployed to Iraq shortly after we were married, but before we had Maeve, and aside from brief trips to the Middle East, he’s been in the States since, including the past year when he was mobilized. I rarely spoke of this mobilization, because to have your husband gone for a year and still come home most weekends doesn’t even register as a point of concern in comparison to what so many military families endure, all for the sake of the greater good.

Having experienced my own medical trauma that left me living daily with an altered body, I can’t fathom withstanding this agony in the presence of war and to such extremes. And anything we can do to mitigate that agony should be a necessity. While I’m admittedly composed of about 90 percent emotion and quick to cry, I embarrassingly well up every time I see any person in uniform.  That camouflage has a certain charisma. It speaks to so much more than a pattern, it speaks to the character of the person wearing it.

Thank you to my husband Greg, his family, our friends and every single member of the Armed Services for all you accomplish and risk every day!!

1. Posted February 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm | Permalink

Great post! Love, love the camo cookies! Thank your husband for his service to our country. You have a lovely family :)

2. Posted February 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

I understand your emotions when you see a person in uniform. I work at a Veteran’s Home in California, and I see first hand what happens to some of these heroes later in life. It saddens me to realize that a lot of them end up alone with no one in their final days. I feel it is my job to make them as comfortable and happy as I can in their final home.

3. Posted February 22, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

4. Krystine
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

From one military wife to another, thanks for this post.

5. Lynn
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

What a great post and thanks for sharing! Always a good time to pay homage to our service men and women!

6. Posted February 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

What a great way to honor our Soldiers! The adorable cookies and, the heart behind them. :)

Posted February 22, 2012 at 3:39 pm | Permalink

Thank you all! And wow, Penny, what amazing work you do! Aw, Krystine, :).

8. Posted February 22, 2012 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

My husband was in Iraq for 5 years (he’s a UN doctor) so I know all too well what it’s like to only have him home a week at a time. Bravo to you for bringing attention to the very important Wounded Warriors Project and a big thank you to your husband for his service.

P.S. The cookies are great as well!

9. Posted February 22, 2012 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Meaghan wonderful post! The cookies look amazing.

10. Posted February 22, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

These are awesome Meaghan…love it!

11. Posted February 22, 2012 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

Very well-written post and an excellent way to bring attention to the Wounded Warrior Project. My father served in the Cdn. military as did my Mom (wartime only for her). My husband has been retired from the forces for five years now and my son is currently serving. I understand your *little secret*. I have the utmost respect for all those who choose to serve and for the families that support them in that decision. It is not a life for everyone but everyone who chooses it should be admired, respected and supported by all of us.
    Your cookies are great and your little Maeve is precious.

12. Alan
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, you’re an amazing writer and an amazing person. Thanks for sharing this post with the world. Sorry I haven’t been able to chime in as much on your tales of the newest book…

13. Posted February 22, 2012 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

Love this post and your amazing cookies!

14. Posted February 22, 2012 at 10:39 pm | Permalink

These are fantastic, Meaghan. In honour of our troops. These gave me an idea too. I’d like to make these but with the British flag on some and the US on others. :)

-Lisa.

15. Posted February 22, 2012 at 10:56 pm | Permalink

Megs, I’ve read your article a more than once. It always helps me to put things in perspective. As for Greg, give him a hug from my family, because he sacrifices SOOOOOOOOO much for us. And then, give yourself a hug tooo, because I know from experience it’s not easy to be on the other end of that deal either. We love ya, Megs, keep the awesome coming!

16. Posted February 22, 2012 at 11:57 pm | Permalink

Moving post. Spoken from the heart. Thank you to your husband and all the military people out there, past and present. Great project to support and lovely cookies too.

17. Posted February 23, 2012 at 1:48 am | Permalink

thank you to your hubby and others out there!….my cousin is getting deployed this month for a year with a 1 year old and baby #2 on the way.

18. Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Thank you Meaghan and thank you to your whole family. It truly is an entire family that serves. An entire family that sacrifices. My love and gratitude to you!

Posted February 23, 2012 at 2:53 am | Permalink

Thank you all for your support and kind words, too! Sniffle sniffle, thank you Callye! Oh, Michelle, that is exactly the kind of sacrifice I think of when I well up… parting from babies for so long, I can’t even imagine. It’s incredibly difficult. Hoping for the best for your family!

20. Posted February 23, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

This post is a great way to bring attention to the Wounded Warrior Project.Your husband, along with all the women and men in uniforms are heroes for keeping us safe.Wives and families are heroes also because they have to be away from their love ones and live in neddles hoping that they will be fine.I have a lot of respect for all those who choose to serve.

PS: Little Maeve is so adorable

21. Posted February 28, 2012 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

Oh i love this, a darling clever friend sent me a link to your blog, hello, greetings from a fellow Army wife, the Australian version. My husband is currently in Afghanistan, his 5th deployment, we have 4 children who just farewelled him back there to finish up this latest trip. Love Posie

Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:48 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness, Posie, FIVE deployments with four children? I’m sending all the best half way around the world! Those left keeping things together at home are equally amazing. :)

23. Posted March 6, 2012 at 9:53 pm | Permalink

These are amazingly cute! Gonna have to make some for my hubby!

24. heidi
    Posted May 22, 2013 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

Doing these for a playdate!!