Dr. Seuss marshmallows

Little trivia about yours truly, I originally wanted to write for children. Back when I started submitting manuscripts, I submitted children’s (um, eight years ago, maybe even longer, so for anyone who thinks “how did SHE get handed a book deal?” The answer is, “Eight years of submitting.”). I wrote a children’s novel for my MFA in Literature (The answer is, “Nah, it’s not very good.”) and focused on children’s for my other Masters. If I could lead a parallel life I’d be earning a phD in Children’s Literature somewhere in England. When I studied at Oxford for a summer back in ’01,  I tried to stalk my favorite author, Philip Pullman (you know, His Dark Materials trilogy?) but I was not a good stalker and never even came close.

When I actually step away from the computer long enough to read a book, it’s almost always a novel for children. I read incessantly growing up, from picture books to Early Readers, to Laura Ingalls Wilder, to Nancy Drew (my grandmother’s originals from the ’30s), to any book with a little apple on the spine, to every single Judy Blume book (I AM a child of the ’70s and ’80s after all). Hence, my pride to learn my husband won his elementary school most-books-read-in-a-year award. I think he got to over 200, including Are You There God, It’s Me, Margaret?.

So I just had to get on the Dr. Seuss/birthday/Lorax bandwagon. If you’ve not heard, The Lorax is about to hit theaters. So I pulled out my marshmallows and edible writers. I’ll quote from my post here, when I say that “I love that my daughter takes Dr. Seuss’s The Lorax to heart with sincere concern for the loss of the Truffula trees. It demonstrates Dr. Seuss’s genius, too, to convey such a weighty environmental concern so efficiently and neatly.” {SPOILER ALERT} At the end, after the last seed is flung from the window, I have to go back to the earlier pages with the plentiful Truffula trees to show her what the future holds or she’d be too upset at their loss.

I love books and kids.What a perfect combination.

1. Posted February 28, 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I wish I could draw like you, i am lucky to get a stick person when I draw.

2. Posted February 28, 2012 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

These are fantastic!

3. Posted February 28, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

Such fun!! What a great way to celebrate a great author and a great book.

4. Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

these are fantastic!

5. Karina
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

these are amazing!

6. Posted February 28, 2012 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

Love the marshmallow art!

7. Nina
    Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

These are my favorite marshmallows of yours (so far!) We love Dr. Seuss books and read them often at the request of our 2-year-old daughter.

8. Posted February 28, 2012 at 7:22 pm | Permalink

yay! love these….i love you did the yertle turtles too! (agree dr seuss is the bomb)…ok i had to adjust some of the wording in thidwick the big hearted moose, but all in all the stories work all these years later—the kids love it.

9. Posted February 28, 2012 at 8:31 pm | Permalink

So fabulous, just love your constant creativity and wonderful talent!

10. Posted February 28, 2012 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

I too was an avid reader as a child. I read SO many books..it looks like we both read a lot of the same ones! I was always a couple of grade levels ahead of my classmates (only in reading!) I was also a “media midget” in 5th & 6th grade! Ahhh, the memories! ..before i forget, i love the painted marshmallows! :o)

11. Posted February 29, 2012 at 12:10 am | Permalink

You sure are quite the artist!

12. Posted February 29, 2012 at 1:12 am | Permalink

I love all of these! I just did Lorax sugar cookies today!

13. Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:38 am | Permalink

Meaghan, You are so talented! I have no doubt that you could publish a children’s book someday! Your marshmallows are perfectly adorable:)
    I LOVED the public library when I was a kid, spent many hours there, and lugged a boatload of books home after each visit.

14. Posted February 29, 2012 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

These are amazing. You are so talented. I saw an ad for The Lorax in 3D at the cinema recently and it looked amazing. Although I’m familiar with Dr Seuss, I didn’t know this story & can’t wait to take my son to see it as I know I’ll enjoy it as much as him!

15. Posted February 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm | Permalink

Oh i love that your husband is a reader too, mine as well, makes for good soldiering down times. Love Posie

16. Posted March 1, 2012 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Love these! Would it be okay if I included your mallows in a Lorax Roundup I will be doing on my blog?

17. Posted March 2, 2012 at 2:25 am | Permalink

Wow! you are an amazing artist. If I tried to draw these you’d think a kid did it :)

18. Posted March 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Artistic and cute. Kids must just flock to you :)

Posted March 3, 2012 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Lisa, my brother calls me “Mother Goose” (I tend to be the one hangin’ with all the kids at parties.)

20. Megan
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm | Permalink

The Dr Seuss mallows are fantastic. Well done!

2 Trackbacks

1. […] Marshmallows by Meaghan of The Decorated Cookie. Have you ever tried drawing on a squishy marshmallow? It’s not easy! Meaghan can work these mallows like it’s nothin’. Love the 3 tiered trees! […]

2. By The Lorax Cookies on August 7, 2012 at 3:57 am