carnation flower cookies… Let’s Smell the Flowers, shall we?

As I’ve mentioned before, I have little luck with growing things. Cut flowers I can manage, as their fate has been determined before I put them in my vases. And I almost always have cut flowers in vases, it’s one of my indulgences. So I was thrilled to be a part of the Let’s Smell the Flowers collection of cookie flowers created by cookie genius Haniela. Scroll to the end of this post to see the collection of 19 incredible cookie flowers by 19 incredible cookie decorators.

I chose carnations. Why?  Because carnations get a raw deal. I suppose because they are seen as common, ordinary. The general presumption is if a man gives you carnations then he is clueless  (think of that Sex in the City episode when Carrie is on the rocks with Berger).  But carnations are such  full flowers, inexpensive, durable and pretty. I think it’s time to reevaluate the carnation. I buy them all the time to fill the vase on my cabinet and I put them there with pride, dagnabbit.

So I chose to glorify the carnation.

To make these I used the same method I used to make these gerbera daisies. And as I mentioned in that post, a big flower made of fondant on a little cookie is a whole lotta sugar, so I think I’ll pick off the flower and hand it to my sugar-starved kid and eat the cookie and icing part myself.

It took a good bit of fiddling to come up with the signature ruffle look of a carnation, and my end result is still a bit too rose-like, perhaps. But alas, I like them anyway. And these are also comically top-heavy, so arrange them with caution.

how to make carnation cookie pops

you will need:*

light corn syrup

small paintbrush

decorating bag

coupler

size “4” decorating tip

rubber band

*For fondant, use store-bought or make your own. For the food coloring, I suggest Americolor Soft Gel Pastes (Electric Green, Electric Pink, Electric Purple and Egg Yellow used here).  Find the cookie cutter, lollipop sticks, paintbrush, pinking shears, decorating bag, coupler, and tip at the craft store.

step one: make your fondant carnations.

You can make these the day before, if you prefer. Prepare fondant, divide and color.  Choose any colors you like for carnations. To tint fondant, add a drop or two of food coloring to a palm full of fondant and knead well until desired color is reached. For darker colors, add more coloring. The fondant should be easily pliable. If it becomes sticky when kneading, let rest at room temperature uncovered for 15 minutes until easily pliable.  To prevent drying, wrap unused fondant well in plastic wrap.

Take a ball of fondant about two-inches across. Roll the fondant thinly between two pieces of wax paper, about 1/8-inch thick. Cut out a circle (about 3 inches in diameter) with pinking shears. Next, cut a spiral in the circle with the pinking shears.

Starting at the outside, roll the fondant around the spiral to the center, using dabs of light corn syrup as glue. When you first start rolling from the outside, make a few fan-like bends to form ruffles in the center. Secure the end with light corn syrup and place on a baking tray lined with wax paper.  Use your fingers to gently stretch and pull the layers a bit to form more natural waves and ruffles. Let dry.

step two: make your cookies

Prepare cookie dough according to the recipe, chill, roll out about 3/8-inch thick and cut out circles. Insert lollipop sticks and bake according to the recipe. Let cool completely.

step three: paint the sticks

Mix a couple drops of green food coloring with a drop or two of water on a piece of wax paper. Use a paintbrush to paint the lollipop sticks and let dry.

step four: prepare your icing

Prepare royal icing according to the recipe and tint lime green. Prepare a decorating bag with coupler and tip, fill with icing and close tightly with a rubber band.

step five: assemble your flower

Pipe a circle of green icing on a cookie (don’t worry about precision since these will be covered with flowers) and place a flower on the icing. Let dry well.

And now, want to see the collection of cookie flowers??

Visit each of these blogs today for the tutorials for each of the gorgeous cookie flowers:

1. Black Eye Susan by Lisa, The Bearfoot Baker
14. Morning Glory by Glory, Glorious Treats
15. Orchid by Ali, Ali Bee’s Bake Shop
16. Pansy Nicole, Life’s A Batch
17. Poppy by Callye,  SweetSugarBelle
18. Sunflower by Bea, Cancun Cookies
19. Tulip by Lorriane, LorrainesCookies

Thank you, Haniela, for orchestrating such a pretty, fun collection!!

1. Posted April 2, 2012 at 10:33 am | Permalink

And glorify the carnation you did! Love these little beauties and the great tutorial. This party is a lot of fun and I’m so happy to be a part of it.

Posted April 2, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

hear hear, Paula!!

3. Posted April 2, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

I could eat one of those carnations right now. Love them, thanks for sharing the links.

4. Posted April 2, 2012 at 11:03 am | Permalink

Love them, Meaghan. So fun and happy.

And I’m happy to be a part of such a Cheery project too. :)

5. Marlyn
    Posted April 2, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I had never seen this technique to make flowers, I’m seeing them on the side of a future cake :o).

Great work, Marlyn

6. Posted April 2, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

These are so creative and beautiful! I would have no idea how to do a carnation cookie! Gorgeous!

7. Posted April 2, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Wow! These are so pretty! Love the 3D this technique gives… they look like felt Flowers!

8. Posted April 2, 2012 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I love this! I think you hit that signature ruffled look right on the head. (And according to “The Language of Flowers” carnations can carry on a whole conversation by themselves, depending on the color. They are very underrated!!!

9. Sweetsugarbelle
    Posted April 2, 2012 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

You picked the hard one!!! Love how you painted the sticks. That’s PERFECT!

10. Posted April 2, 2012 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I totally thought they looked like they were made from felt! Love your work always!

11. Posted April 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness I LOVE this!! They look so great and you made them 3D! WOW!! You are amazing!!

12. Posted April 2, 2012 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

very cute and creative!! Love them!

13. Posted April 2, 2012 at 8:21 pm | Permalink

Your carnation cookies are fabulous and fun! Love the technique and the colors!

14. Posted April 2, 2012 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, I LOVE these! The colors, the ruffle, the green sticks… so sweet! Not to mention the amazing photography and comprehensive tutorial – you should have a book! (Oh wait… hee hee).

15. Posted April 2, 2012 at 10:18 pm | Permalink

These are so vibrant and I love the ruffled carnation edges. Perfect! I’ve never used fondant before, but have really wanted to try. Your tutorial is great and I might have the courage to try now.

16. Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:16 am | Permalink

Meaghan, I really & truly thought these looked like felt when I first saw them. They are THAT PERFECT. You came up with a perfect way to really highlight the 3D-ness of carnations, and I’m just floored at your creativity. Great job!

17. Posted April 3, 2012 at 3:45 am | Permalink

Wow Meaghan, these are so incredibly creative and you have every detail covered. The carnations are beautiful! Great tutorial!

18. Posted April 3, 2012 at 4:37 am | Permalink

What a cool idea! I’m still learning how to use fondant and I love it! These are the cutest cookies. I thought they were made of fabric when I saw the photo!

19. Posted April 3, 2012 at 6:07 am | Permalink

Thank yahoo.com for making this happen, imagine if I didn’t follow up with you, we would have missed these beauties and that would be a shame.
    I’m so glad you were able to participate and these are so fun I love love that you used actual scissors to cut the fondant, I feel like a complete idiot because I discovered power of scissor and fondant just 2 weeks ago!

20. Posted April 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Such a creative idea for the carnation!

21. Posted April 3, 2012 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

What a great idea, Meaghan!! So clever. I love them!

22. Posted April 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

“comically top heavy” ha ha ha ha ha. I love it! I don’t think they look anything like a rose. They are PERFECT carnations!! And such fun, bright colors!!

23. Paula
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

I really like your carnation cookie flower.
    I will try them. I probably will put a hole in the center of the cookie and use a bit of gumdrop below and above the cookie to make them face up on the stem.