Poppin’ Rockin’ marshmallow pops

An easy, last minute treat for your 4th of July that will add a bit o’ fireworks to your dessert table… Pop Rocks marshmallow pops!

And in case there are any safety concerns, that story about Mikey from the Life commercials meeting his fateful end with a combination of Pop Rocks and soda, it’s an urban legend. (Oh, you weren’t born in 1972 and have no idea what I’m talking about? Google “Mikey + Life cereal + Pop Rocks.”)

While I usually add my sparkle to marshmallows by dipping in water first (see here or here or here and lots more places on my blog, but I won’t keep you traveling via links), that didn’t work with Pop Rocks, because the water made the candy a bit of a melted mess. So instead, see what I did below. And if you want to tell you’re guests these are sprinkles and let them be surprised by the explosions, I won’t judge.

how to make Poppin’ Rockin’ marshmallow pops

you will need:*

marshmallows

straws or lollipop sticks

light corn syrup

paint brush

Pop Rocks

Styrofoam block or wax paper

*I found the paper straws in a super cool shop by me (Trohv), and you may find them in super cool shops near you. Or online. If you can’t find them before the 4th, just use lollipop sticks from the craft store. My supermarket didn’t have Pop Rocks (?), but I got some at the craft store. I just ordered more Pop Rocks in bulk from Oriental Trading, since a little pack is kind of pricey.

what to do:

Skewer a marshmallow with a straw or stick. Paint a thin layer of light corn syrup around the outside of the marshmallow. Sprinkle Pop Rocks over the painted area (I sprinkled over a bowl so I could save the excess, and because Pop Rocks are costlier than sprinkles, I wasn’t too generous with the sprinkling). Prop in a Styrofoam block to dry or prop upside down on a piece of wax paper.

1. Posted June 27, 2012 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Super Duper Super Cool!! I really can’t wait to make these with/for my grandkids! Awesome idea. :)

2. Posted June 27, 2012 at 12:48 pm | Permalink

Super cute! i’ll have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing!

3. Amy
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

I want to try making these, but other places have said that the pop rocks don’t last long. I live in Missouri, so it can be humid. What is your experience with the longevity of the pop rocks?

Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

They’re right… they don’t last long. I use corn syrup on these instead of water for the sticking part, just to prolong it a bit, but the fizz doesn’t last forever against other moisture. Not sure how the humidity would affect things, but I would definitely make and serve within a few hours. If you try these the night before, by morning, the candy loses it’s fizz and shape.

5. Erica
    Posted July 2, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Look so cute! Gonna have to try this!

6. Batmare
    Posted July 3, 2013 at 7:19 am | Permalink

How long should I let them dry before I can serve them?

Posted July 3, 2013 at 8:49 am | Permalink

The sooner you serve them the better! The pop rocks can start to dissolve the more they sit.

8. Tavette
    Posted June 7, 2014 at 10:08 am | Permalink

It seems everyone knows about Pop Rocks except me so I sauntered over to JoAnn Fabrics. Small envelopes (they had 2 flavors) were $1 so it was worth trying. Then – if you like them, you can search for stores with larger packages.

Here in hot, HUMID, S. Fla. the pop rocks probably wouldn’t work, but then use red colored sugar and some in blue. Very festive, cute and inexpensive marshmallow treats.

Tavette – S. Fla.

Posted June 7, 2014 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Thanks Tavette! My dad lives in S. Fla so I know EXACTLY what you mean!! Also, I had no idea JoAnns sold Pop Rocks! Go them.

These are a great alternative and you can use water, not corn syrup, to get the sprinkles to stick: http://thedecoratedcookie.com/2014/05/red-white-and-blue-marshmallow-pops-and-the-2014-springsummer-issue-of-birds-magazine/