licorice love

Still in a borrowed kitchen…still making cookies. Despite the chaotic state of my scattered supplies, I should note said borrowed kitchen is still infinitely nicer than the galley kitchen of our former DC rowhouse. (I cut out and decorated hundreds of cookies, 2 to 3 at a time, for my book using about 1 foot of counterspace.) Plus, our hosts’ oven actually seems to work at the right temperature. And it has lots of fancy buttons.

Here are some heart day cookies. They needn’t be decorated on sticks, but I’m in a lollipop phase, so there you have it. I used licorice to decorate, to mix things up a bit. (Just to shamelessly promote, I also have a heart day cookie kit on my shop with 3 sizes of heart cutters and colors and all that. But not the sticks and candy. See that here. I promise more shameless self-promotion will come before Valentine’s Day.)

how to make licorice love

you will need:
Red licorice lace or Twizzlers cherry “pull n’ peel” (the latter much easier to find)
dough
icing
lollipop sticks
heart cookie cutter(s) (I used medium, 3″, and small, 1 1/2″)
parchment paper

Americolor soft gel pastes (Bright White and Electric Pink)
2 disposable decorating bags

2 couplers
2 rubber bands
2 size 4 tips
scissors

small knife or spatula
light corn syrup

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out your dough thick enough to take the lollipop stick (about 1/4″). Lay cookies on a parchment paper lined baking tray and insert stick about halfway into bottom of heart. Pat back into shape if needed. Bake according to recipe and let cool.

step two: frost your hearts
Mix about 1 cup each (or more depending on how many cookies you have, you will have plenty of frosting if using my recipe) of white frosting and light pink. Prepare 2 frosting bags with size 4 tips. Fill one halfway (about 1/2 cup) with white frosting, fill the other halfway with light pink (I mix a couple drops of Electric Pink with Bright White color). Tie both closed tightly with the rubber bands. Pipe outline on heart and let set a good 15 minutes.

Add water to remaining white and pink frostings to thin until syrupy. Add 1/4 teaspoon at a time so you don’t go too far. Pour a little white frosting in the middle of the hearts with white outline. Spread with a small knife or spatula until covered. Repeat with the pink hearts. Let set a good hour or two.

step three: decorate your hearts
Take a piece of licorice lace or pull off a piece of Twizzlers. Using scissors to trim, decorate your hearts with checks, swirls or loops. To adhere the licorice, dab your finger in light corn syrup and run along the back of the licorice. Tips: Lightly lay out the licorice first, then adhere. I snipped the ends after adhering to the cookie (as in, I snipped off the licorice overhang to fit the cookie). Let dry several hours or overnight.

1. Posted January 14, 2009 at 11:55 pm | Permalink

I am so making these…thanks for sharing..I love this blog!

2. Posted January 15, 2009 at 2:48 am | Permalink

Thanks Christine!!! I so heart feedback.

3. Posted January 15, 2009 at 6:33 am | Permalink

Wow! What a great idea to make this for the coming valentine’s day. Love it! :)

4. Posted January 15, 2009 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Your cookie creations just get better and better! Always a treat to visit.

5. Posted January 15, 2009 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

tally love your blog. Bought your book two days ago and can’t wait for it to get here.

6. Posted January 15, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Thanks also to Selba, pam and back2basics! Makes my whole day to get such lovely feedback.

7. Posted January 16, 2009 at 12:35 am | Permalink

what kind of lolipop stick do you use?

8. Posted January 16, 2009 at 12:40 am | Permalink

this cookie on a tick is a totally fabulous idea. I’m making these for sure!

9. Posted January 16, 2009 at 12:41 am | Permalink

I meant to say “stick” not tick. I can’t spell but I CAN read blogs and I’ve just subscribed to yours.

10. Posted January 16, 2009 at 2:44 am | Permalink

Thanks Damaris! I miss letters on this silly keyboard all the time! As for the lollipop sticks, I just use the plain, white, cardboard? (unwaxed) ones from the craft store. I get mine at Michaels, but any big craft store should have them. AC Moore, etc. I always stay nearby when baking because I’m fire-phobic, but I’ve never had any problems.

11. Posted January 16, 2009 at 6:57 am | Permalink

Absolutely adorable! Beautifully decorated…I will have to make these!

12. Posted January 16, 2009 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

It is very cute, adorable! I’ll try these for St-Valentin (am I original? No…). I like the idea to put the cookies on a stick…

13. Posted January 16, 2009 at 9:57 pm | Permalink

Those are sooo cute and I don’t even like Valentine’s Day! :-)

14. Posted January 16, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

Oooh I saw your cookies on tastespotting and I called my husband over as I loved them so much! Amazing job! :D

15. Posted January 17, 2009 at 1:09 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone! I’m working on a new book proposal, so all of this feedback is great. (ha ha dessert girl, we don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day either! So I have no excuse, really, for making them except the cute factor.)

16. Posted January 20, 2009 at 7:35 am | Permalink

very cute idea!

17. Posted February 4, 2009 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Hello! I saw your photo on tip junkie. I'm gathering some desserts & treats to feature on my blog for Valentine's Day. I'd love to feature your cookies, if that's okay?

18. Posted February 4, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

No problem Jerri! thanks for the interest and thanks for the tip junkie tip! Didn’t realize I was featured, so that was a nice surprise. By the way, apparently these are kid friendly, too! My friend made them with her 3 and 5 year olds and sent me pictures. They looked amazing!

19. Posted February 5, 2009 at 6:09 pm | Permalink

Your idea was featured today on The Downtown Boutique!http://thedowntownboutique.blogspot.com/2009/02/handmade-thursdays-heart-shaped-cookie.html