how to draw on food: hot cocoa stirrers

Another one in the category of super-easy-last-minute. And a great li’l gift idea, too, packaged with a mug and hot cocoa.

how to make hot cocoa stirrers

you will need:

marshmallows
candy canes
edible writers*

*I prefer Americolor Gourmet Writers or FooDoodlers Fine Line pens. Buying the sets is best, but you will only need blue, brown, black and red.

step one: skewer your marshmallow
Break off the hook part of the candy cane and stab the marshmallow with the broken end. You can make a hole first with a skewer or toothpick if you like.

step two: draw your designs
Follow the instructions below to draw the designs. Or, make your own. A snowman face would also be cute. Or write “dunk me.”

how to draw a snowflake:
1. with a blue pen, draw and “X”
2. draw a line through the “X”
3. add “V”s and dots to the spokes as desired

how to draw a cup of cocoa:
1. draw and fill a brown oval
2. outline a black circle around the oval, leaving some white space at the top
3. draw the rest of the mug
4. draw the handle (two backwards “C”s)
5. draw the steam (curlycues)

how to draw brr:
1. um, write “brr” with red

1. Haniela
    Posted November 30, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

these are fun. Now I need hot cocoa.
    Thanks for all the great tips!

2. staci @ lizard n ladybug
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 1:19 am | Permalink

what a super cute idea!!

3. CraftCrave
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 1:29 am | Permalink

Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave in the Cooking category today [01 Dec 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

4. Laura
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 2:08 am | Permalink

That is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! So artistic and yet you make it look so easy!! I have to try this!

5. Desiree Wong
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:45 am | Permalink

so cute!! i'm definitely doing it!! thanks!

6. ♥peachkins♥
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:12 am | Permalink

I have to have food doodlers.. this would be fun to give friends..

7. Ben
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Awesome recipe. This would be very easy for new bakers. I will try it out.

8. Jason and Abby
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Great idea! And also great idea to show people how to draw those cute images! I definitely needed that!

9. Judy@cutest-little-things
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Love it! What a cute idea!

Judy@cutest-little-things

10. BellaLovesPink
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

I love these!

11. Miki's scrapbook
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 5:20 pm | Permalink

Awe, this is so cool! Too bad it's summer here in Argentina and marshmallows are not so easy to find.

12. Anonymous
    Posted December 1, 2010 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

These crack me up! What fun! Thanks for sharing … good timing too because we just got a little snow in PA!!

Posted December 2, 2010 at 1:31 am | Permalink

I am SO going to do this!

14. Betsy at Zen-Mama
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

This is so cute. My question is what if you want to make one so that children can eat it? Are they edible pens? Let me know!

15. Betsy at Zen-Mama
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I reread your article and now see that they're edible pens! Unbelievably cute!

16. HeroCakePops
    Posted December 2, 2010 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

I love hot coco! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing.

17. lisaiscooking
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm | Permalink

These are so cute! I'd love to try this on homemade marshmallows.

18. Perdita
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

Wow super-cute and utterly adorable! What ideal presents to take when visiting over Christmas.

19. Catalina
    Posted December 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Fantastic idea, thanks for sharing. I wonder if my local Hobby Lobby carries the pens – they should. They have a huge isle of cake stuff.

Posted December 3, 2010 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

You are all the coolest!! Thank you CraftCrave! Catalina, craft stores will likely have food coloring pens, probably the Wilton FoodWriters. The ones I use (Americolor of FooDoodler) you can get at amazon or other shops online.

21. Damaris @Kitchen Corners
    Posted December 4, 2010 at 3:58 am | Permalink

I love your marshmallow art. I remember seing it for the first time a maybe a year ago. This is such a good idea. I love to use candy canes as lollipop sticks. I made some caramel popcorn balls and put a candy cane stick and have myself a lollipop.

22. Tami (Pixeltrash)
    Posted December 15, 2010 at 12:58 am | Permalink

You are so cute. Love these!

23. Michelle
    Posted December 24, 2010 at 12:21 am | Permalink

What an ingenious idea~! I posted it on my blog, hope that is okay? thanks!

24. Michelle
    Posted December 28, 2010 at 4:45 am | Permalink

You're very welcome! I sure love seeing all your ideas!

25. canvas wall art
    Posted October 27, 2011 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

This would be really easy for new bakers. I will give it a go.

26. Marge Burton
    Posted December 8, 2013 at 8:12 pm | Permalink

Last year there seemed to be more designs for xmas to put on marhmellows. I remember a deer or moose and a couple of words. I need those is there some way to get them? Thanks

Posted December 9, 2013 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Hi Marge, Hmm, I didn’t have those last year. But that’s a great idea for a new post! If I get a chance, I’ll try and get something new up on the blog! Thanks so much!

28. Melonie
    Posted December 12, 2013 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

This is a really cute idea. I think I would leave the hook on the top of the candy cane though. Then you could hook the cane over the edge of your mug.