plaid cookies for St. Patrick’s Day

Is there even such a thing as “Irish plaid”? Irish tartan patterns? For the sake of this post, let’s say yes. If I had my act together, I’d have gotten a Shamrock cookie cutter. Or looked through my hundreds of cookie cutters to find the Shamrock I probably already own. But alas, this pattern can be made on any shape cookie.

how to make plaid cookies

you will need:*
dough
icing

cookie cutter, any shape
5 decorating bags
4 couplers
4 decorating tips (sizess 2, 3, and 4)
rubber bands
food coloring (greens, yellow and white)

*I used a 2-inch circle cutter. For coloring, I used Americolor gel pastes, Electric Green, Leaf Green, Egg Yellow and Bright White. Find decorating bags, couplers, tips and cutters at the craft store. For tips on finding supplies, click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out chilled dough, cut out and bake cookies according to the recipe. Let cool completely.

step two: make your icing
Make icing according to the recipe, divide and tint your colors. You’ll need: lime green (the most of this, as it’s your background color), bright green, yellow and white. Assemble decorating bags with couplers and tips and fill with the icing. Use a 3 tip for the bright green, 2 tips for yellow and white, and a 4 tip for the lime green. Reserve half of the lime green icing in a bowl, covered. Close bags tightly with rubber bands.

step three: flood the background
Pipe an outline with the lime green. Let set about 15 minutes. Thin reserved lime green icing with water until the consistency of thick glue. Fill an empty decorating bag with the thinned icing, snip 1/4 inch from the tip, and loosely pipe to fill the cookies, letting the the icing flood the entire cookie. Encourage with a toothpick if needed. Let set well, several hours at least or overnight.

step four: pipe the plaid
Pipe lines with the bright green 3 tip (a grid pattern). Then pipe thinner lines next to the green lines with the yellow and white 2 tips. Let dry.

Comments

1. Rosaleda (Maria Begoña) says

A wonderful cookies.
    I'll stick with your idea, I feel great

Greetings from Jerez, Spain

2. SweetSugarBelle says

These are gorgeous…I love plaid, but I always whimp out! Pretty Colors and I actually like the round :-)

3. Meg says

Cute- I love the plaid and the bright colors. They don't need to be shamrock shaped at all! I like it better that they aren't actually.

4. jess says

I love plaid, what an awesome idea for St. Patricks…so different than the usual shamrocks. Love it!!

5. Nicole (Life's a Batch) says

These are so cute, and I love how simply FUN they are! Thank you, Meaghan, for sharing. :-)

6. franca says

questi biscotti sono bellissimi,ma sei bravissima con i decori, ogni volta che vengo nel tuo blog rimango sempre a bocca aperta,complimenti
    ciao e buona settimana

these cookies are beautiful, but you're very good with the decor, every time I come to your blog I am always open-mouthed, congratulations
    hello and good week

7. The Little Baker says

these were so cute that i had to make them! i used a scalloped edge square cookie cutter. i misplaced my shamrock cookie cutter and of course found it after decorating the plaid squares. as it turns out, i like your idea much better anyway – versatile throughout springtime.

8. says

Thank you for posting this! It is just what I needed for a project I am going to do today. I love that there are so many of you helping out by sharing your ideas. I know that looking at some of others ideas just spurs my own. So truly, thanks so much! Adorable cookies too <3

• meaghanmountford says

Thank you Kelly! You just hit the nail on the head of how blogging is supposed to work, in my eye. :)