still no cookies, but microwaved applesauce

I promise more sweet things will arrive soon, but in the meantime, did you know you can make applesauce in the microwave? I’m guessing you did. I, however, did not.

My almost-four-year-old loves to help me bake. I’m pretty dang proud of how she wields a rolling pin and frosting bag. She even creates recipes. They are usually completely and totally impossible and make no sense in the physical world. Often, these recipes derive from her desperate desire to cook something NOW based on what foods we have in the house. Like when she insists that mixing up some juice from her juice box, crackers and vanilla extract and baking it in the oven will produce pink cupcakes. I sometimes indulge her. Like when she wanted to mix grapes and salt and cook in the microwave. (Note: don’t do this. It creates a very, very bad smell.)

But then she had the idea of cutting up apples, mixing it with water and microwaving it. Hmmm. Apples, a heat source… sounds like applesauce, she eats applesauce. She doesn’t eat much, but she eats applesauce. Though it probably wasn’t necessary since the recipe seemed logical enough to test, I googled “microwave applesauce” just in case. I found THIS. So we pared and cored a Granny Smith apple, chopped it in 1-inch pieces, put it in a microwave-safe glass bowl, I let my daughter sprinkle the apple with a tiny bit of sugar, we omitted the cinnamon (no brown flecks for my picky eater), and we microwaved it for about 5 minutes.Then, I poured the contents in a fresh bowl, since the bowl was so hot, and let my daughter mash it with a potato masher. Yum. It was good. Really good. I imagine more apples would need more minutes, and perhaps next time I’ll add a bit of apple juice or other natural sweetener, but this was a quick and easy applesauce.

In the interest of full disclosure, however, I should note that my picky eater, who takes picky to a level I can’t understand, still didn’t eat the applesauce she herself made because it didn’t come in a little cup from the store. Sigh. I’ll eat it though.

And PS. Find the how-tos to make the fondant worm HERE.

1. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen}
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 7:56 pm | Permalink

Adorable! My son all of the sudden HATES applesause and bananas. Sigh. Maybe we'll try this out…!

2. Pink Little Cake
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

This is a lovely post sharing a little bit of your little one.
    My little girl is such a picky eater also,sometimes I do not know what to even feed her because she only wants to eat pasta for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

3. Page
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

i love the decoration!
    page

4. Hilde
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

You should ask Tupperware for their microwave recipes. Here, in Belgium, they give evenings baking cake, soups, whole meals in the microwave. Learned so much from it. F.e. Bacon and eggs, so nice.

5. Hilde
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Don't know if the recipes can be found on the website of Tupperware, but they give presentations consisting of cooking in the microwave with their materials. F.e. Bacon and eggs are really tasty

6. BreAna {Sugar and Spice and All Things Iced}
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

What a fun post! I'm going to have to try this one of these days with my little picky eater, I've never made applesauce in the microwave before. Love the pictures and the worm! :)

7. LilaLoa
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

What a fun idea! And (of course) what GORGEOUS and creative photos!

8. SEO Company Los Angeles
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Permalink

How cool! This is such a cute and creative way to serve such a healthy classic. Can't wait to try it!
    -Karen

9. Ashley
    Posted August 17, 2011 at 10:40 pm | Permalink

You are not alone! I had no idea you could make applesauce in the microwave. What an interesting idea. I think it looks yummy too!

10. The Vanilla Bean Baker
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 12:29 am | Permalink

I love that you scooped out an apple and made the fondant worm. It all made for a very attractive and whimsical presentation for the applesauce. (Which by the way, does sound good)

11. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted August 18, 2011 at 12:34 am | Permalink

So cute, the apple cup is the best with it!

Posted August 19, 2011 at 7:21 am | Permalink

How fun, especially with the worm! :)