simple Christmas wreath cookies

These cookies are so simple and pretty easy to decorate. It’s shameful to admit, but I “borrowed” this idea. Sure, I borrowed it from myself (see? These Christmas tree cookie pops I made for Celebrations HERE) but it still feels a little like cheating.

how to make simpleĀ
wreath cookies

you will need:*
cookie dough
royal icing

green food coloring
circle cookie cutters
2 decorating bags
1 coupler
1 size “4” decorating tip
rubber band

silver dragees

*I suggest Americolor Soft Gel Pastes (Leaf Green used here). For circle cookie cutters, I use this set. Choose any two cutters that have enough diameter difference to make wreaths, such as the 3-inch and 1 1/4-inch circles. Find the decorating bags, coupler, tips and dragees in the craft store.

For a quick cookie decorating lesson, click HERE.

step one: bake your cookies
Roll out chilled cookie dough. Cut out a big circle and then cut out a little circle from the center of the cookies to make a wreath. Bake according to the recipe and let cool.

step two: prepare your icing
Prepare icing and tint green. Fill a decorating bag fitted with the coupler and tip with about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the green icing and close with a rubber band. Cover reserved green icing.

step three: flood your cookies
Flood the wreaths with icing: Pipe an outline on the wreath, both the outer circle and inner, and let set. Thin the reserved green icing with water until the consistency of thick glue, fill an empty decorating bag with the thinned icing, snip about 1/4 inch from the tip and loosely pipe to fill the wreaths, encouraging the icing as needed with a toothpick until the entire wreath is filled.

step four: add your decoration
Wait for the icing to set about ten minutes and add the dragees. Waiting the ten minutes leaves the icing still sticky enough for the dragees to adhere, but sets enough so they don’t sink into the icing. Let the cookies dry very well, overnight preferred.

1. Bea @ CancunCOOKIES
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Love these wreaths!

2. Tina
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

These look so wonderful I would have to wait until after the holidays to eat. Love how you put these together with the dragees and the ribbon!

3. sue @ cakeballs, cookies and more
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Adorable!

4. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

simple yet elegant with a touch of whimsy. These qualify for a Trish Shamp, "I can do this" moment.

5. Nic@diningwithastud
    Posted December 8, 2011 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

These are too cute. Perfect for hanging :D

6. Haniela
    Posted December 9, 2011 at 1:51 am | Permalink

I really love these, there is timeless beauty in simple things.
    Happy Holidays!

Posted December 9, 2011 at 4:49 am | Permalink

I love "easy" especially when they turn out so cute! The ribbon is a very nice finish:)

8. bridget {bake at 350}
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

Meaghan…this is one reason why I love you. You know that not every cookie has to be complicated to be beautiful! Your wreaths are the perfect example…simple, elegant, and beautiful. I love them!

9. Rosie @ Sweetapolita
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 5:08 pm | Permalink

These are so lovely and sweet. I love that it's not super complex, but they look so fancy. Love these!

10. Paula
    Posted December 12, 2011 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Simple is beautiful!

11. Top 10 Lists
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 10:52 am | Permalink

Gift ready for Christmas! These looks so amazing. will have to try this recipe.