I know, I know, I’ve been remiss. Forgive my lack of posting.
My book photo shoot is next week, which means baking 50, actually more like 60, different desserts in two days, and trying to make them look perfect, which for me–queen of imperfection–is no small feat.
Then long days of propping, setting up, arranging, taking down and doing it again. Plus, my daughter has decided she’s above sleep. But the end is near, and then I’ll blog away and away. Until then, here are some butterfly cookies.
I made these butterflies for two special birthdays, my sister, Catherine, and my li’l friend Izzy, who turns one today. (Izzy turns one, my sister turns, um, more than one. But still less than me.)
how to decorate butterfly cookies
- Prepare cookie dough, chill it out, roll it out, cut out butterflies, bake and let cool.
- Prepare royal icing, divide it, and tint your colors with food coloring. Each color will need piping consistency and flooding consistency. You can prepare decorating bags with couplers and tips for the thicker consistency icing. The flooding consistency can just go in a decorating bag with the tip snipped.
- Pipe the body of the butterfly with the thicker icing.
- Outline the wings with the thicker icing and fill with the same color of the flooding icing. Let dry totally, several hours at least.
- Pipe the wing outline with the thicker icing and immediately coat with sprinkles in the same color.
- FOR BASIC COOKIE DECORATING INSTRUCTIONS, click here.
- For more cookie decorating recipes, click here. If you need vegan cookies and icing recipes, click HERE.
sooo purrty… 🙂 I love your cookies (and marshmallows and everything else!)… look forward to your book!
I love these. Will have to try them soon. Good luck with your book – cannot wait for it. Also, I received my Martha Stewart cookie book! Thanks so much – I love it! P.S. I understand the "sleep" thing you mention. It was very hard for me when my son decided naps were over – I think I needed that time more than he did!
Ooh, these are such beautiful cookies. I love the colors! They make me so happy for spring!
Hillcrest Acres says
those are adorable cookies!!!!
I LOVE the bright colors of your butterflies, Meaghan! Just reading all that you have to do to finish your book is making me tired. I have no doubt the end result will be FANTASTIC, and I can't wait:)
These are beautiful, Meaghan – I'll be attemping something similar for my sister's 18th birthday.Good luck for the final shoot. It will all be worth it when the book is published. I will certainly be buying a copy!Try giving your daughter her own project to work on, it will keep her busy and perhaps tire her out!
Such happy colours. Can't wait for the season to arrive here.
Dadá flavors says
¡Preciosas!, te quedaron fantásticas.
Family O says
Thank you, Meaghan for taking the time out in your crazy schedule to make these. They are gorgeous and look delicious. Much love to you–and Izzy sends slobbery kisses even though she said mommy told you not to make them. We love you and know that your book will be the go to book for everyone in baking!
How exciting about your book! Congrats :)These butterfly cookies are sooo cute! I swear this site has helped to feed my increasing addiction to cookie decorating haha xx
So pretty, your cookies are always amazing!!
Cute cookies. With spring coming I love anything with pink and green butterflies.