A roundup of 20 crayon art (melted crayon art and crayon crafts) ideas for kids and grown-ups.
What to do with all your kids’ old crayons? (And in some some case, with boxes of brand new crayons, because that’s what the instructions entail. Apologies for that expense.) Make crayon art! Melted crayon art, crayon crafts, it’s all colorful, fun ways to use crayons for something other than drawing. These crafts are for both kids and grown-ups. (Or teens and tweens who enjoy handmade crafts.)
Years ago, this melted crayon art thing hit the pinterest scene and started a trend. I created this crayon art for my daughter’s rainbow-themed bathroom.
how to make melted crayon art
you will need:
what to do
Plan your design. Glue the crayons to the canvas. You may choose to leave the paper wrappers on or off. Rest the canvas against a wall in an area covered with newspaper or other scrap paper. (I still have crayon wax on my wall, so I advise doing this outdoors if possible). Use the hair dryer, pointing a bit down over the crayons, until the crayons melt and begin to drip down the canvas. Try and use the lowest setting possible at first, as the air will blow the wax around a bit. Let dry completely.
crayon art and crayon craft ideas
- Create a melted crayon painting at Gathering Beauty.
- Use crayons to make “stained glass” at eHow.
- These crayon candles from Evermine are beautiful.
- Combine the two to make stained glass candles with crayons, at The Swell Designer.
- Or craft a scupture! At Meri Cherry.
- Make some beautiful ornaments with melted crayons, at August Joy.
- Wow. Create Batik fabric with crayons, at Suzy’s Artsy-Craftsy Sitcom.
- You can even make lip gloss with crayons. By momdot.
- I adore this idea for a melted crayon necklace! How-tos at Big Picture Classes.
- Turn crayons into letters, at Minted.
- Paint rocks with melted crayons, at A Girl and a Glue Gun.
- Melt broken crayons in molds to create new crayons. Shown here from Skip to My Lou.
- Use the same method to make pendants from crayons, at Design Six O Six.
- Put crayons in a hot glue gun to make glue gun crayon art, by Learn Play Imagine.
- Kids can help with this crayon wreath, by mk inspired.
- I love this flower melted crayon art, flipped upside down and used as flowers (from flikr user Suzanne Tiedemann).
- What?! Craft crayons into roses (gorgeous!), at Suzy Cucumber.
- Try some crayon sun catchers, from The Suburban Mom.
- Combine crayons and watercolors to make art, from Crafts by Courtney.