I love these bright, happy bug cookies. They are great to bake and decorate for bug party favors, spring or summer, or just for fun.
Here, I use royal icing to decorate ladybugs, caterpillars, dragonflies, bumble bees, and a sun to watch over them all.
more bug fun food ideas
- Maybe they’ll eat their veggies if you make them veggie bugs.
- I love this easy bug chocolate bark.
- Glowing firefly (lightning bugs?) cookies.
- Make “frosting clay” bugs to top cookies and cupcakes.
- If you’re still looking, here’s a roundup of 15 bug snacks and treats.
cookie baking with kids
Naturally, my daughter is a cookie maker extraordinaire. (If by any chance my match is reading this, I promise we washed our hands thoroughly and had no sniffles.) Seriously.
She actually rolled out and cut out several of the cookies here. (And if such a task is not unusual for a three-year old, please don’t tell me this and ruin the illusion that mine is a prodigy.)
This is her masterpiece:
how to decorate bug cookies
supplies and ingredients you’ll need
- cut-out cookie dough
- royal icing
- cookie cutters (bug cutters, bumble bee cutter, sun cutter)
- food coloring*
- disposable decorating bags
- decorating tips (sizes 2, sizes 3, and sizes 4)
- yellow sprinkles
cookie decorating tips
how to decorate the cookies
to decorate sun cookies
to decorate ladybug cookies
to decorate caterpillar cookies
to decorate dragonfly cookies
to decorate bee cookies