easiest-ever chocolate spider pops (or cupcake toppers)

I’m horribly, terribly arachnophobic. I was even scared to google the word “arachnophobic” to make sure I was spelling it correctly, because I was afraid to accidentally see pictures of spiders. Seriously, terribly arachnophobic. If my 4-year old wasn’t such a wimp, I’d make her kill spiders for me. Instead, I usually just stand far away and push the long hose of the vacuum towards any spider that makes it past my door. Not that I like any creepy crawly, but I don’t have the same shudder with others as when I see, or even think, about those eight-legged creatures. Oh my god, I have to stop typing this paragraph or I’ll scratch myself silly.

Luckily, these chocolate spider pops evoke no such reaction. And they took me mere minutes to make. And my daughter LOVES them. This is an idea I stole from myself. I use this method in my book, not for spiders, but for something else which I’ll keep top secret. (Sugarlicious, to be released in 2012, you’ll hear much more about this. Way more.)

I also made a few extra off a stick to use as cupcake toppers. (Those are mini cupcakes by the way, not gigantic super scary huge spiders.)

how to make chocolate spider pops

you will need:*

chocolate chips
disposable decorating bag
lollipop sticks
candy eyes
scissors
baking tray
wax paper

*Use any kind of chocolate you like, semi-sweet, milk, dark, vegan, whatever. Find the decorating bags, lollipop sticks and candy eyes in the craft store.

Fill a decorating bag with chocolate chips, about 1/2 full. Microwave at 70 percent power for 1 minute, then at 30 second intervals, massaging the chocolate chips periodically, until the chips are almost completely melted. Massage the chips in the bag until totally melted.

Line a baking tray with wax paper. Snip 1/4 inch from the tip of the decorating bag, twist at the top and pipe a dot of chocolate (about the size of a nickel). Lay a lollipop stick on top, pipe another chocolate dot on top (about the size of a quarter). Pipe 8 legs.

After you pipe all your spiders, go back and add candy eyes. Stick the tray in the fridge for a couple hours or until well set.

TIPS: Chocolate is a little messy to pipe, not like royal icing. Don’t worry about precision or drags or bumps. These’ll still look like spiders with drags and bumps. Also, these are somewhat fragile, so great to hand out to kids or to prop in a block of Styrofoam at a party, but I wouldn’t go waving them around like mad, using them as weapons or trying to wrap them in bags.

1. Meg@MegaCrafty
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:06 pm | Permalink

They turned out so cute! And I love that you can use them as pops or toppers.

2. Amanda
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

Oh my gosh.. how funny that we both did spiders and are both terrified of them!! These re completely adorable Meaghan… you are beyond talented!

3. Jill T
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

I may try these with York Peppermint Patties for the bodies. :) Thanks for the idea!

4. Trish - Sweetology101
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

FAST AND FANCY….love the fact Sophia can do these w/ me!!!!!!

5. Pink Little Cake
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

They are so cute. I have to make them with my 4 year old.
    How's your health by the way? I hope everything is fine.

6. The Vanilla Bean Baker
    Posted September 19, 2011 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

This has to be the most fun *scary* ever gets.

Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:59 am | Permalink

Definitely can't be afraid of these cute little guys!

8. HannahBee
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:54 am | Permalink

I have severe arachnophobia too! Same problem as you. But these are not scary. Just cute.

9. Mina Topilina
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

My Gosh!!! They are gorgeous!!!! I love them!!!! And now that Halloween is coming this is the best treat I can give!!!!! I was thinking about that… really, you just gave me the most amazing idea for some cupcakes!!!!

I´ll keep coming I promise!!! And, by the way, I feel just like you about spiders…. I see one and I have no time for screaming… no, when mi mouth gets to open, I´m already five blocks away, hihihihihihi.

Froot Loops and corn pops!!!!

Cheers!!!

10. LoveCupcakes
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I could use this idea for upcoming Halloween this year. Thanks for sharing this amazing spider pops.

11. Katrina {In Katrina's Kitchen}
    Posted September 20, 2011 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

I used those google eyes in today's post too! So adorbs!! My son just saw these and he said, "MOM! Are we making these?!?!" :D

12. Amy
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

Where do you get candy eyes?

Amy @ A Little Nosh

13. the decorated cookie
    Posted September 21, 2011 at 5:02 pm | Permalink

Michaels should have them! Or any big craft store (ac moore, etc.)

14. Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper
    Posted September 25, 2011 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

Love! I'd love for you to link up to my Wickedly Creative Halloween Ideas Link Party!

15. Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com
    Posted September 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

These are so cute Meaghan and I just shared them on our Fun Finds Friday!