painted cherry blossom cookies

As promised, I’m back with some more cherry blossoms, because you see, as a Washington DCite, I need to push the cherry blossom. These cookies, about 2 1/2-inches across,  are a bit bigger than these here, but you can follow the same instructions for fondant-topped painted cookies. You may also use a flooded royal icing background instead of the fondant, as long as you let the icing set well, at least one day. (Of course, you can find more how-tos for flooding and fondant and painting with food coloring in Sugarlicious. I’m just sayin’ is all.)

To make shades of pink “paint” and brown “paint,” I used Americolor Soft Gel Pastes, and I mixed a drop of water with a few drops of white and a drop or two of Electric Pink. I mixed some white with Chocolate Brown, and I used just White. I first used a small brush to paint the branch, then just dipped a flat brush in the paint and used it to “sponge” the colors on.

While I mourn the absence of snowman-making this mild winter, sigh, Spring isn’t so bad.

1. Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

so cute, I think I may be able to dab colour on a cookie, but I bet it will look like a blob. Oh well at least they will taste great!

2. Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, these are just beautiful!! Some of the prettiest cookies I’ve seen in a long time.

I lived in Washington DC for quite a few years during my childhood, walking along the Washington Mall under the cherry blossoms is one of my favorite memories.

Posted March 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

Ha, Sue, I’m sure it would be totally unbloblike! Kristan, if you ever come back to DC, look me up and we’ll go out for cupcakes (or, um, cocktails)!

4. Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

I’ve heard that Washington DC is absolutely beautiful during your cherry blossom season. My husband has been and one day we hope to both go back. Your cookies are gorgeous!

5. Posted March 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Meaghan, Love all your variations on the cherry blossom theme:) They are EACH so pretty!
    I went to Washington D.C. as an 11 year-old kid, but would love to return as an adult with my husband, who has never been.

6. Warning Sugary Goodness
    Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm | Permalink

Love that these are painted and not piped.
    Beautiful :)

7. Posted March 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm | Permalink

So pretty! They definitely make me think about being in DC when the trees are blooming. It’s so pretty and it’s been way too long since I’ve been during Spring.

8. Posted March 5, 2012 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

yay for spring! cherry blossoms are the quintessential icon of spring in dc! these are awesome!!

9. Posted March 6, 2012 at 1:04 am | Permalink

I love cherry blossoms so much, every year I plan on vising DC for the festival and I miss it every time. These are gorgeous.
    Did you get my email from 2 weeks ago?
    Have a great week.

10. Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:28 am | Permalink

I love your painted cookies. This looks like such a fun technique..i really wan to try it! :)

11. Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:28 am | Permalink

Oooops! *want*

12. Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:23 am | Permalink

These are something else Meaghan! I love how they turned out. Everyone has their paintbrush out these days…hopefully I can join the fun soon! BEAUTIFUL!

13. Posted March 6, 2012 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Wow! What a beautiful cookie. I love it [:

14. Michelle
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:35 pm | Permalink

Coming over from Ali Bee’s Bake Shop. Your work is fantastic, I LOVE the cherry blossom cookies!!!!
    Michelle

15. Ann
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

These are gorgeous! I saw your book on Ali Bee’s blog & love the little lambs with the pretzel legs!

16. Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:42 pm | Permalink

These cookies are so cool. I hadn’t ever thought to paint my cookies. Fun! I bought some gorgeous Cherry Blossom scrapbook paper yesterday and these cookies totally remind me of it. Love ‘em!

17. Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cookies! Love the cherry blossoms–I live in Macon, Georgia where we have a huge cherry blossom festival. Great inspiration!

Posted March 6, 2012 at 2:48 pm | Permalink

Thank you all so much for stopping by!! Ali Bee’s is the best (talk about talent!). Stacy, hopefully the cherry blossom blooms in Macon last longer than in DC!

19. Amie
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

Love these…so simple, yet so pretty. I have never seen the cherry blossoms in DC…other than on television, but I just love when the trees start to flower, and I know Spring is close.

20. SheilaAtPlay
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

LOVE the cherry blossoms! Its like taking two things of beauty (a blossom and a frosted cookie) and putting them together for the ultimate in pretty. Great job!

21. Janet
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

You are so creative and talented. Can’t believe what I see!

22. Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Beautiful!

23. Rosie
    Posted March 6, 2012 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

Thank you for sharing your knowledge. Ali Bee’s

24. Posted March 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

These are so beautiful! What a lovely design.

25. Lynn
    Posted March 7, 2012 at 4:09 am | Permalink

Love DC and the cherry blossom festival, wonderful time of year! Lovely cookies to celebrate!

26. Posted March 7, 2012 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Meaghan!
    I followed the link from Ali Bee’s Bake Shop and I’m so happy I did!
    I’m a newby to ‘creative’ baking and I’m constantly looking for my heroes and mentors in the baking world. The talent out there is phenomenal.
    Even if someone isn’t into baking or finding out how great everything tastes…they have to love just looking at the incredible artwork! This is Eye Candy! I set a timer to remind myself there’s baking to be done because I could spend hours looking at page such as yours.
    Thank you for sharing your gifted talents with all of us~ Continued success to you…

27. Shirley
    Posted March 8, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cherry blossom cookies! The new book looks wonderful. I am hoping to win it from Ali B!

28. Posted March 8, 2012 at 10:19 pm | Permalink

Beautiful cherry blossom cookies, Meaghan. What are you using to bond the fondant to the cookies? I have edible glue which I may use but was wondering what you used.

Posted March 9, 2012 at 1:06 am | Permalink

Great question Lisa… I brushed light corn syrup on the cookies. But I’ve also used either royal icing or buttercream frosting to adhere, too, which I like better because it tastes better.