pickles and ice cream

This post is only a test. Really. It’s only half serious. I had to see if all the hullaballoo about pickles and ice cream was real. Because, you see, I’m almost 20 weeks pregnant. (Pause for woo hooing now.)

It took so long to tell others this for a couple reasons. First, I needed to be further along to better know what to announce. Nothing is smooth sailing for me, health-wise, so I was afraid of announcing too early, “I’m having a baby,” and then have the baby actually turn out to be an ostrich with three heads. And more importantly, whenever I say “I’m pregnant,” my first thoughts go to those for whom that phrase evokes angst and sadness. To those who have experienced the heartache of infertility, and to those who have poked themselves with needles til they were black and blue, I do so very much understand.

If you 1. know me in real life, or 2. follow this blog, you are aware of what a big feat this pregnancy is for me. Not only am I of “advanced maternal age” (ie. one hundred million and 39), but I have a long history battling illness (ie. one hundred million and 20 years). I’ve had lots of surgeries and lots of stuff inside removed and shifted around and reconstructed (read more about that here), which makes the whole baby thing a medical unlikelihood. My almost-five year old daughter is an IVF baby, but that process went relatively well, so I was lulled into the belief the second one would be a cinch. But things can sometimes go horribly awry, as many, nay, all, of us know. Freak complications from a round of IVF almost took my life last year, which understandably made the fertility experts never want to touch me again. But armed with the language and self-knowledge of being a long-term patient, my husband and I fought fiercely to get another go at it.  The board and other important sounding people debated and decided my fate. They reluctantly agreed, with a level of caution I imagine they learned from watching The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (you know, John Travolta? Anyone?). My last and final chance at IVF worked. So three cheers for the patient with a voice! And kudos to my fertility experts for prioritizing MY safety above all else.

But on to less serious things, like pickles and ice cream.

This combination was surprisingly not as bizarre as I thought. I predict I’m unlikely to crave this union again, but if I do, next time I’ll try it with real pickles and less dill, methinks. But these packed a good crunch and some interesting flavors.

To make these, I pulled a cucumber from our garden, washed it and sliced it. I tossed it with some white vinegar, sugar, coarse salt and fresh dill as in this recipe for Quick Pickled Cucumbers from Martha Stewart. I sprinkled the cucumbers with more salt before topping with a little scoop of chocolate ice cream. I dare you to try it.

Comments

1. says

Im going to pass on the whole pickles and ice cream “dare” although a big thumbs up to you for trying it, I’m preggers too and have craved both….just never at the same time :)
    I wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy and for your honesty that is sometimes present in many womens journey into Motherhood, I wish nothing more than a healthy, safe pregnancy and even easier delivery for you and your little one!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!

2. says

Congratulations!!! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes as smooth as possible for you. Now even though I’m 33 weeks myself I will have to say I will be passing on this even though I love both separately I don’t think I can try them together. Again congrats!!

3. says

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations, I have been thinking about you (yes, believe it or not, I do think of blogging people that I really like and I have never meet). Every week I say that I am going to email you and I never do.
    Miracles are possible! you are such a wonderful mom and person and deserve this miracle baby inside of you.I am so happy for your little family.
    I bet big sister is super excited.
    Sending you lots of hugs.

4. says

When I read pickles and ice cream I could not read fast enough! I am so excited for you, congratulations and woo hoo for sure! I have goose bumps now that I read your post!! :)

5. Kate says

Congrats! I understand about having trouble. I was told I didn’t ovulate so we gave up. At 36 I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl! A woman at church tried everything and couldn’t get pregnant. Just as she was getting ready to do a donor egg she got pregnant! She is 45 and having a baby girl. Again, congrats and keep us up to date!

6. meaghanmountford says

Thank you all so so much for your support!! What a wonderful group this whole internet gives. And for those also in my boat, I so very much understand running from hills with this taste combo :).

7. says

Meaghan,
    I really needed this, good news, happy news, wonderful news. This is so wonderful. Congratulations! I had a not so good day and your post, your announcement made it all better. Wishing you a super smooth pregnancy.

8. JaanL says

YEAH! Congrats, love and prayers for you and your hubby. Been there, not exactly as you, but gone thru alot of that stuff. BUT, at 42 it happened,for the first time, and I will, I promise, to say prayers for you daily.

9. says

Congratulatations! I am so happy for you! Having gone through some stuff myself, I can empathize with how exciting this time is for you! But I think I’ll pass on the pickles and ice cream.

10. says

This might just be the post that pulls me back into blogging………..I am so excited and completely delirious with joy for you and your whole family. This baby WAS. MEANT. TO. BE. YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER
    EVER
    GIVE
    UP
    HOPE
    TO
    FULFILL
    ALL
    YOUR
    DREAMS!

EVER!

11. says

First of all Meaghan..a very warm and happy congratulations to you and your family! I haven’t been following your blog long enough to realize all that you’ve been through health wise. But I will now be praying for you and your baby..that all will go wonderfully well! Congratulations again..and a total *UGH* to the pickles and ice cream. 😉

12. says

Congratulations! I’m 25 weeks pregnant. And I definitely had a night where I was craving pickles and chocolate milk. So I applaud you for going for it.