pickles and ice cream

This post is only a test. Really. It’s only half serious. I had to see if all the hullaballoo about pickles and ice cream was real. Because, you see, I’m almost 20 weeks pregnant. (Pause for woo hooing now.)

It took so long to tell others this for a couple reasons. First, I needed to be further along to better know what to announce. Nothing is smooth sailing for me, health-wise, so I was afraid of announcing too early, “I’m having a baby,” and then have the baby actually turn out to be an ostrich with three heads. And more importantly, whenever I say “I’m pregnant,” my first thoughts go to those for whom that phrase evokes angst and sadness. To those who have experienced the heartache of infertility, and to those who have poked themselves with needles til they were black and blue, I do so very much understand.

If you 1. know me in real life, or 2. follow this blog, you are aware of what a big feat this pregnancy is for me. Not only am I of “advanced maternal age” (ie. one hundred million and 39), but I have a long history battling illness (ie. one hundred million and 20 years). I’ve had lots of surgeries and lots of stuff inside removed and shifted around and reconstructed (read more about that here), which makes the whole baby thing a medical unlikelihood. My almost-five year old daughter is an IVF baby, but that process went relatively well, so I was lulled into the belief the second one would be a cinch. But things can sometimes go horribly awry, as many, nay, all, of us know. Freak complications from a round of IVF almost took my life last year, which understandably made the fertility experts never want to touch me again. But armed with the language and self-knowledge of being a long-term patient, my husband and I fought fiercely to get another go at it.  The board and other important sounding people debated and decided my fate. They reluctantly agreed, with a level of caution I imagine they learned from watching The Boy in the Plastic Bubble (you know, John Travolta? Anyone?). My last and final chance at IVF worked. So three cheers for the patient with a voice! And kudos to my fertility experts for prioritizing MY safety above all else.

But on to less serious things, like pickles and ice cream.

This combination was surprisingly not as bizarre as I thought. I predict I’m unlikely to crave this union again, but if I do, next time I’ll try it with real pickles and less dill, methinks. But these packed a good crunch and some interesting flavors.

To make these, I pulled a cucumber from our garden, washed it and sliced it. I tossed it with some white vinegar, sugar, coarse salt and fresh dill as in this recipe for Quick Pickled Cucumbers from Martha Stewart. I sprinkled the cucumbers with more salt before topping with a little scoop of chocolate ice cream. I dare you to try it.

1. Posted July 30, 2012 at 8:49 am | Permalink

OMG I am so happy for you!!!!! I bet you are going to be craving this again for sure, and cannot wait to see how your new little turns out to be just as spoiled and loved as the big sister is:)

2. Posted July 30, 2012 at 8:53 am | Permalink

A big HUGE, GIANT congratulations!!!! I am so so very happy for you!!!!!!

3. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

Im going to pass on the whole pickles and ice cream “dare” although a big thumbs up to you for trying it, I’m preggers too and have craved both….just never at the same time :)
    I wanted to congratulate you on your pregnancy and for your honesty that is sometimes present in many womens journey into Motherhood, I wish nothing more than a healthy, safe pregnancy and even easier delivery for you and your little one!!!!

Congrats!!!!!!!

4. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

So, so happy that you and baby are doing well! Sending much love and healthy thoughts your way!!! ♥

5. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Congratulations!!! I hope the rest of your pregnancy goes as smooth as possible for you. Now even though I’m 33 weeks myself I will have to say I will be passing on this even though I love both separately I don’t think I can try them together. Again congrats!!

6. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!

7. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:02 am | Permalink

Congratulations! How wonderful to add another mini cookie decorator to your family :)

8. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:05 am | Permalink

Oh congrats Meaghan!! You have fought so hard and I’m so happy that after everything you can still have this. Can’t wait to ‘meet’ him/her!

9. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Congratulations!!!

10. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:15 am | Permalink

Congrats!!! I wish you smooth sailing and good health for the rest of your pregnancy :)

11. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Congratulations!! I hope you have a safe pregnancy from here on out :)

12. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Congrats!!!

13. Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Eeks and squeaks, congratulations!! Wishing you continued smooth sailing! Those pictures would make a super cute shower invite…hint, hint to your friends :)

14. Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

Congratulations, that is so exciting!

15. Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I am so happy for you!!! Congratulations, I have been thinking about you (yes, believe it or not, I do think of blogging people that I really like and I have never meet). Every week I say that I am going to email you and I never do.
    Miracles are possible! you are such a wonderful mom and person and deserve this miracle baby inside of you.I am so happy for your little family.
    I bet big sister is super excited.
    Sending you lots of hugs.

16. Posted July 30, 2012 at 11:52 am | Permalink

Woo Hoo is right! I am so happy for you, Meaghan(and your family)! Besides your cute baby, I look forward to all of your cute baby related treats:) XOXO!

17. Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:00 pm | Permalink

When I read pickles and ice cream I could not read fast enough! I am so excited for you, congratulations and woo hoo for sure! I have goose bumps now that I read your post!! :)

18. Kate
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 3:25 pm | Permalink

Congrats! I understand about having trouble. I was told I didn’t ovulate so we gave up. At 36 I gave birth to a beautiful, healthy baby girl! A woman at church tried everything and couldn’t get pregnant. Just as she was getting ready to do a donor egg she got pregnant! She is 45 and having a baby girl. Again, congrats and keep us up to date!

19. Posted July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

SO very happy for you Meaghan! Big hugs!!!!

20. Suzanne
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

Congratulation and wishing you a “happy, healthy” pregnancy.

21. Jen
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth pregnancy and delivery!!

Posted July 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you all so so much for your support!! What a wonderful group this whole internet gives. And for those also in my boat, I so very much understand running from hills with this taste combo :).

23. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:18 pm | Permalink

Congratulations Meaghan! This is such exciting news! Wishing you a smooth and healthy pregnancy. :)

24. Posted July 30, 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

Meaghan,
    I really needed this, good news, happy news, wonderful news. This is so wonderful. Congratulations! I had a not so good day and your post, your announcement made it all better. Wishing you a super smooth pregnancy.

25. Posted July 31, 2012 at 1:36 am | Permalink

Congratulations Meaghan – I am so very HAPPY for you!

26. JaanL
    Posted July 31, 2012 at 2:07 am | Permalink

YEAH! Congrats, love and prayers for you and your hubby. Been there, not exactly as you, but gone thru alot of that stuff. BUT, at 42 it happened,for the first time, and I will, I promise, to say prayers for you daily.

27. Posted July 31, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Great news to hear. Many congratulations!

28. Posted July 31, 2012 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

Congratulatations! I am so happy for you! Having gone through some stuff myself, I can empathize with how exciting this time is for you! But I think I’ll pass on the pickles and ice cream.

29. Posted July 31, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

This might just be the post that pulls me back into blogging………..I am so excited and completely delirious with joy for you and your whole family. This baby WAS. MEANT. TO. BE. YOURS!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER
    EVER
    GIVE
    UP
    HOPE
    TO
    FULFILL
    ALL
    YOUR
    DREAMS!

EVER!

30. Posted July 31, 2012 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

CONGRATS!!!! I am thrilled to read this, so so very happy for you m!

31. Posted August 1, 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! So happy for you.
    : )

32. Posted August 1, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

First of all Meaghan..a very warm and happy congratulations to you and your family! I haven’t been following your blog long enough to realize all that you’ve been through health wise. But I will now be praying for you and your baby..that all will go wonderfully well! Congratulations again..and a total *UGH* to the pickles and ice cream. ;)

33. Posted August 2, 2012 at 4:59 pm | Permalink

Such fantastic news. Congratulations!! So happy for you and your family!!

34. Posted August 3, 2012 at 1:59 am | Permalink

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i’m so happy fo you. You must be so excite. The baby will be here before you know it.

35. Posted August 3, 2012 at 11:28 am | Permalink

Congratulations to you and your family! What wonderful news :)

36. Posted August 4, 2012 at 5:31 am | Permalink

Congratulations! I’m 25 weeks pregnant. And I definitely had a night where I was craving pickles and chocolate milk. So I applaud you for going for it.

37. Posted August 4, 2012 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Yay, you! This news made my Saturday, my bloggie friend! Congratulations!!!!!!

38. Posted August 4, 2012 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

Congratulations and best wishes for a smooth pregnancy!

39. Posted August 5, 2012 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness CONGRATULATIONS I saw the post title and I thought hmmm….could it be? So happy for you and your family.

40. Posted August 9, 2012 at 1:32 am | Permalink

Wow, congrats. I too was so excited reading this post. Good news :) I’ll be keeping my eye on you :) and sending all my good energy your way for an happy and healthy pregnancy!!

41. Nina
    Posted December 3, 2012 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Congratulations! I’m so happy for you and your family :).