Get them off the screens for some summer fun! Here are 50 awesome summer activities for kids.
fun things for kids to do this summer
Alas, alack. It’s official. The pool we go to every summer is unable to open. Summer camps have all been cancelled. With visions of 12-hour days on screens, we did overpay for a 12-foot backyard swimming pool. But a wading pool alone may not cut it, so I’ve gathered 50 summer activities for kids.
more summer ideas
Before we get to the roundup, check out these other fun food and craft ideas.
Older kids may like these craft roundups:
50 summer activities for kids
What to do, what to do? Here are some ideas for DIY sprinklers, backyard games, summer crafts and activities for kids, free printables, and outdoor movie night ideas.
- Make a flamingo ring toss, at Sugar and Cloth.
- Turn your deck into a board game at Design Dazzle.
- Make a bean bag toss, at Modge Podge Rocks.
- DIY lawn scrabble, from Consider the Peel.
- Kids can make their own tic tac toe board, at Red Ted Art.
- Love this rainbow hopscotch, from Happiness is Homemade.
- DIY back yard Yahtzee! By A Turtle’s Life for Me.
- A giant matching game, from Studio DIY.
summer crafts for kids
Keep them busy and creative with these fun indoor and outdoor crafts.
- Paint with edible marshmallow paint.
- Try some birdseed ornaments, or these super-easy Cheerios birdfeeders.
- Make a fairy garden, at Love and Confections.
- Try these sponge sailboats, at Easy Peasy and Fun.
- Make some friendship bracelets, at Crafts by Amanda.
- Or popsicle stick garden markers.
- Masking tape art! At Me and My Inklings.
- Paper bag tiaras! At Happy Hooligans.
- Or, paper plate gardens.
- Make some paper lantern animals, at Gluesticks.
- Handmade Charlotte has a tutorial for paper plate visors.
- Gorgeous flower petal stained glass at The Artful Parent.
fun summer activities
Here are some awesome ideas to get kids playing outside.
- Make a mud pie station, if you dare, at My Small Potatoes.
- I love this outdoor loom from Babble Dabble Do.
- Rain gutter race tracks, at Gluesticks.
- DIY bubble wands, from Red Ted Art.
- Make your own table soccer, at Villa Appelzee.
- Find the how-tos for sponge balls at Fun Loving Families.
- Squirt gun painting! At Fireflies and Mudpies.
- Make a sandbox, at Taryn Whiteaker.
- Glow-in-the-dark bubbles! At Growing a Jeweled Rose.
- Have a water cup race, at All for the Boys.
- Or try this sand and water table from an old sink at Remodelaholic.
free summer printables
- Find a summer journal kit to print at Somewhat Simple.
- Or these boredom buster printables.
- Simply Today Life has this calendar bucket list.
- Indoor AND outdoor scavenger hunt printables.
- Print a cute reading log at Love the Day.
- Love this “I spy” summer printable from Kleinworth and Co.
- This interactive summer planner from I Can Teach My Child is fantastic.
outdoor movie night
- These outdoor theater seats from Not Just a Housewife are fantastic.
- Find the instructions to make a movie screen at Viva Veltoro.
- Shower caddies to hold treats is a great idea.
- Scatter some glow stick balloons around the yard.
- Play trivia while you’re waiting for the movie to start.
- Don’t forget the popcorn! Butter, caramel, and cheddar cheese.
- Find detailed instructions to build a water wall at Babble Dabble Do.
- Mom Endeavors has a tutorial for these water blasters.
- Make a sprinkler out of a hula hoop at PB&J Stories.
- Or try a PVC sprinkler, from instructables.
- Here’s a plastic bottle sprinkler, from Housing a Forest.
- Make a pool noodle sprinkler at Ziggity Zoom.